We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

We are planning a trip to Portland in December, possibly Jan.

Can anyone recommend where would be a good place to stay if we decide to be there over Christmas? Also, where would be a good place to have a nice Christmas dinner?

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

My House!!

Sorry -- I couldn't resist -- don't think we're at that point yet -- but I could think of no other place. Mr. PT puts out quite a Christmas Dinner Banquet!!! Maybe next year :)

I'm always home, so I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure you'll get responses soon LOL

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

Who knows PT- maybe next year we'll be living close by to you! We met with a realtor friend of ours yesterday and have decided to put our house on the market next Feb. YIKES!!!

Level Contributor
36,209 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

If you want to stay downtown, check out the Heathman Hotel. We have not stayed overnight there but were very impressed with the room and the service when we toured this summer. They have been listed on the 2005 Conde Nast Traveler Gold List and were in Travel & Leisure top 500 Hotels in the world.

After seeing rooms and chatting with staff at the Paramount, Heathman, Benson and 5th Ave. Suites, we loved the Heathman, hands down. They also have a great restaurant there, we have only had desserts here but they were excellent. We were invited back for dinner, but decided to jet over to the coast for a meal there. Truly one of Portland's finest hotels and in a great location.

Try to book under the POVA website and you will receive a room with complimentary parking and breakfast. Rooms at the Heathman go for $179/night for a Deluxe King over Christmas. Cheers and have fun! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

Another nice option would be the 5th Avenue Suites. We have stayed there several times, not just touring the rooms, and it is a very nice place. I really like the location since you can walk everywhere from there, including up to the NW district. A definite plus is that the valet parking is underground, so you never deal with the rain. The staff are very nice and personable, not stuffy at all.

The Heathman was nice when I stayed there, but it has been many years so I don't feel like I can really comment on what it is like to stay there now.

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

See SD, I told you you would get answers quickly!

Yikes !! We did the same thing, Decided in October, put the house up in February, sold it two days with bidding war!! Had to rent my own house back till we moved. Were here in April!!!

Better start packing !!

:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

"Truly one of Portland's finest hotels and in a great location."

Not that I disagree with you, syrahgirl, but how can you make that assessment when the only hotel you've ever stayed in here is RiverPlace?

I would pick a central downtown hotel, San Diego. Fifth Ave. Suites gets a lot of good press, as does the Heathman and Vintage Plaza. If you bid for a four-star on Priceline, you're likely to end up in the Benson, which is also fine, and the choice of most DC dignitaries when they come to town.

Are you looking for a traditional Christmas dinner? If so, even though she's never had dinner there, I'd agree with syrahgirl; Heathman would be good. London Grill in the Benson is also very traditional, and would probably work. If you're thinking about something less traditional, let us know.

Level Contributor
36,209 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

If you want to stay down by the water, the Riverplace Hotel is very, very nice. They have a restaurant there called the Three Degrees that gets mixed reviews. We have had several nice breakfasts there and the views are gorgeous from the dining room.

We had a very nice lunch at the Benson this summer and really enjoyed the ambiance here. Elegant, formal dining room and a bit above average food, service was outstanding. We had planned on the Heathman for lunch and had a reservation through Opentable, but were unable to get over on time with the parade traffic. We went to use the restrooms at the Benson and checked out the dining room which we fell in love with! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,078 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

Oh yes, using the restrooms in a hotel lobby will always give you a good idea of how nice it is to stay there.

I second the 5th Avenue Suites, as does Conde Nast in their list of Top 500 Hotels, 4 stars if that means anything and it is a Kimpton Hotel, they keep pretty high standards.

The hotel rooms ( I stayed there although I did use the hotel lobby bathroom once) are warm and cozy and of course, suites. You can get regular hotel rooms too, which are very pretty..stayed in one for a night.

The 5th Ave Suites was the hotel we arrived at when we moved to Portland .. with Pup. We and Pup were catered to and made such a fuss over that it was a bit hard to actually leave LOL

They have wine tasting every afternoon, fireplace in lobby, which looks like a big living room. They have coffee (Starbucks) in the lobby every morning. You are just a matter of blocks from movies, restaurants, the streetcar, everything you want within a walk.

Check their rates and call, they always have specials !

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

The Governor Hotel is worth a look. Located in the center of downtown. Easy access to other public transport to other areas. Ask them about their Christmas Dinner menu recommendations for other options.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for a good place to stay over Christmas?

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will definitly look into all your recommendations, although I'll tell you, Fifth Ave Suites gets extra points for welcoming Pup too. PT, as for selling your house in 2 days, trust me I've thought of that, and that is what makes me nervous. I'm hoping it will take at least a couple of months. My husband says he'd like to be there by the end of Summer. Is it normal to feel so nervous?