We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood restaurants

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best seafood restaurants

Locals please.... I have been reading posts regarding beer, and giant cookies and my mouth is watering! BUT where do YOU go to eat fresh seafood?

From elegant to basic and anyplace in between!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best seafood restaurants

The only seafood place we have eaten in is Jakes. I think it is pretty good. Not elegant :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best seafood restaurants

elle:

Favorite seafood places of mine include:

McCormick & Schmick's (SW 1st & Oak in downtown) & Jake's Famous Crawfish (SW 12th & Stark) - both have extensive menus of fresh fish which change daily. They are sort of "traditional" places - rich wood interiors, more formal waitstaff, etc. There's also Harborside at the Marina at the south end of downtown (0309 SW Montgomery). These are places that are known for having mostly seafood menus. All are pretty nice and are fairly expensive (i.e. entrees average $18-25...)

Another place that serves good seafood dishes but does other types of food as well is Southpark (901 SW Salmon). It's more contemporary and has a lean towards Mediterranean-style dishes.

And if you like fresh RAW fish (sushi), look no further than SinJu in the Pearl District (NW Johnson & 10th).

There a lots of restaurants that serve seafood dishes; these are just the ones I know best and would recommend for mostly seafood fare.

Brian

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best seafood restaurants

By the way, once you've moved here a couple places to look for fresh fish are:

Zupan's Market (it's a small grocery chain with several locations around the city). We've always been very happy with the cuts & quality of their fish & shellfish (tho' it tends to be expensive).

Uwajimaya in Beaverton is an large Asian market that provides all sorts of hard to find products from the Far East. It's a really great place to shop. A highlight is their seafood department - quite an array of all sorts of fish & shellfish. They have large tanks full of live dungeness crab, lobster, tilapia, oysters, clams, mussels, etc. Last time I was there, a massive ahi-grade tuna was being filleted behind the counter - must have weighed 200 lbs (just guessing)!

Anyway, those are two other options I thought of after I posted initially...

Brian

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best seafood restaurants

Never been too impressed with Jake's - long lines, expensive, and bad service the couple of times I was there. McCormick & Shmicks is expensive, but sometimes I've been there and it's been excellent (other times just OK). Good Happy Hour food, though.

Like eating at Newport Bay at Harborside - not because I particularly like Newport Bay, just that it's out in the Willametter River, just floating there. Kind of cool.

I've had good seafood at so many restaurants - it's hard to say. Every restaurant in town practically serves seafood in this part of the country - and most really know how to cook it.

Heck, I even like McGrath's Fish House - and that's a chain - the only chain restaurant I can think of that I actually like.

London Grill, The Heathman, Portland City Grill, The Chart House, Alexander's - pretty much any good restaurant will have good seafood dishes here.

I Love Uwijamaya too! Best selection of fish in town - expensive to shop there, but fun! Plus it's right by Scandia Imports, so it's convenient for us.

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best seafood restaurants

Newport Bay is a chain, but they do make a nice seafood ravioli there. Harborside is beautiufl inside, but the entrees are pricy and pretty ordinary.

We had some great salmon at Higgins and Paley's Place is an excellent choice for Wild Salmon. clarklewis had really nicely prepared sea scallops and the London Grill made some decent crab cakes.

We also really enjoyed our last meal at Gotham Building Tavern this past summer. Wildwood has many wonderful seafood selection, I enjoyed their halibut and the crispy oyster salad there and very innovative desserts.

For some great clam chowder, head over to the coast. Mo's in Cannon Beach and Norma's Ocean Diner in Seaside,both offer award-winning clam chowder.

In Gearhart, the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe prepares an amazing bacon-wrapped sea scallop entree and their salmon is also prepared very nicely here. Cheers and have fun! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best seafood restaurants

If you just like seafood (which I do and order it most often) just about all the restaurants in Portland that I have been to so far, have excellent seafood dishes on their menus.

The McCormick and Schmick at RiverPlace is awful, avoid that one!

Henrys Tavern has an extensive seafood menu, you can look at it online, henrystavern.com.

Last night we had ahi tuna and cedar plank salmon.

Oba in the Pearl has some good spicy Nuevo Latino ways of preparing seafood, Paragon and Bluehour do tuna well.

If you like Thai, go to Typhoon, they have a tremendous amount of seafood dishes.

Funny, last year when we were coming to Portland to visit, people told us to eat at Mo's in Cannon Beach, have the clam chowder. Then later one of them said it was not good. LOL..well we ate there. It was a cold and windy September day and that hot thick chowder hit the spot.

Now some people are recommending it.

I keep thinking of going to Gotham Building Tavern but the gimmicky part of it never appeals to me. Of course, living in the Pearl, I am gonna be busy for at least a year trying out just neighborhood restaurants LOL

Brian, thanks for reminding me, we have to go to Southpark next !

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best seafood restaurants

That cedar plant salmon at Henry's is very good. DH has had several seafood dishes there and he has enjoyed them.

I personally do not care for Newport Bay, but that is just my opinion. Mo's is an old Oregon institution on the coast, and it is good for what it is.

The Red Star Tavern has some wonderful seafood dishes as well.

chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best seafood restaurants

Its Oregon,on the Pacific ocean,I think they have to try hard to have bad seafood. That being said,,Jakes is an institution,a fun place to take your visiting relatives.But most good rests. here have good seafood,,,,oui?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best seafood restaurants

Jakes is the big tourist name place, but other restaurants serve up wonderful seafood. For lunch try the Ahi salad at Henrys. Good price, great salad. The Carlyle, Georgios, Wildwood and Paley's Place serve incredible seafood for dinner. Very fresh product, exquisitely prepared.

Portland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best seafood restaurants

When you order salmon, please avoid farmed salmon. In other words, the chain restaurants' salmon: Newport Bay almost certainly serves farmed salmon. Ask first.

Support our fishing & environment -- become an Oregonian!

That said: Wildwood. Paley's. Higgins (all the high end; all strong supporters of organic/sustainable agriculture.)

M&S restaurants often have wild & they always have a "fresh sheet."

And all the smaller local restaurants have something seafood, given our proximity to the sea. Halibut! Tuna! Willipa Bay oysters!