We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PDX to Eugene

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
PDX to Eugene

Is there an easy way to get from PDX to Eugene using public transportation. There are 2 of us. If not, we'll rent a 1-day car for $60. Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PDX to Eugene

Amtrak is subsidized by the federal government. Does that make it public? There's also Greyhound. Both Eugene and Portland stations have convenient downtown locations.

If you want true public transportation, you could take Tri-Met to Wilsonville. Then take SMART (South Metro Area Rapid Transit) to Canby Area Transit (CAT). From there, ride to Woodburn where you can pick up a Cherriots (Salem Transit) down to Albany. Take the Albany Transit System all the way south to Linn-Benton Community College. There you can pick up the Corvallis Transit System bus to 3rd and Evergreen. Finally board the Lane Transit District bus #95x there. It will take you to the downtown transit center in Eugene.

I believe this will take you 5 days, 2 hours, and 28 minutes. Fare will be $21.75 each.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,864 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PDX to Eugene

I love Oregone's answer!

There is no quick, easy and cheap transportation between PDX and Eugene. By the time the two of you get to downtown Portland and catch a train or bus, you will probably have spent at least the $60 you say it will cost you for the car. Of course, you don't have to put gas in the train or bus...so you have to figure that into the cost as well. A car will give you more options and flexibility enroute to and in Eugene.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PDX to Eugene

Amtrak shows 6 daily rund portland to Eugene Earliest is 11:30AM. Last is 9PM. Two of them are buses, a 2 1/2 hour trip

Not sure about greyhound, last time I looked think only two did that direct, maybe those ar two Amtak show

Max is convenient way to get downtown PDX cheaply, though it does not got to train/bus station. need to transfer to do that. figure at least an hour to do that And really not conveneint if you return later in day. after dark I mean

Sounds like you are in a hurry trying to do it in one day. sorry to say think car is best way.

Now if you want to get to coast by bus, you need to do something like Oregone suggests. getting to Depoe Bay takes 3, maybe 4 transfers. two years ago greyhaound made a run down the coast and had forever, but no more.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PDX to Eugene

Rent the car.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PDX to Eugene

Take the MAX downtown and rent the car from there. If you call the downtown Avis or Enterprise branches directly, you can usually save a pretty significant amount of money. That's been my experience anyway. I ended up with a sweet Pontiac G6 from Avis for about $17/day last time. You just have to reserve the cheapest car possible, and then of course they'll have to upgrade you since they have such a tiny inventory because it's expensive to store cars downtown.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PDX to Eugene

I said 1 hour for MAX but I meant getting on to train station, much less to just get downtown to rent car as Oregone suggests. 30 mins or so

That MAX station right in airport terminal, easy to get on and off.

WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PDX to Eugene

Oh my goodness! Thanks so much... first answer is HILARIOUS. I was already feeling ridiculous for asking the question (not exactly as fun a question as where to eat...). Anyhow, I'll let you in on the reason I asked.

Renting a car from PDX for a week and a day costs $420. We have to go to Eugene anyhow and renting a car from there (returning it to PDX), costs only $150!

Thanks for the suggestion on renting from the city! I'll look into renting for a whole week from there, since we'll be in the city anyhow on Friday and Saturday.

We arrive Friday at 1pm, will check into our hotel (Comfort Inn on Wasco), visit the various Gardens (not sure about the timing/order yet), I have dinner reservations at Andina for 6 pm. I'll probably have to make that later... but coming from the East coast we might be falling asleep in our entrees.

I guess I'll just pick up the car on Saturday morning before heading to Eugene. Hopefully, this won't be too much of a hassle.

Comfort Inn is supposed to surrounded by car dealerships anyhow... so, maybe there's a car rental place too. haha.

Thanks everyone! G'night!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PDX to Eugene

PDX to Eugene- 5 days, 2 hours, and 28 minutes.

Fare- $21.75

Time Spent Researching this information: about 1hour

Oregone's contributions to TA: priceless

Eugene
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: PDX to Eugene

There is a shuttle service which goes between Eugene and PDX:

http://www.city2cityshuttle.com/

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,864 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PDX to Eugene

The shuttle service to/from PDX/Eugene info cited above is a bit late for TAmomof2, methinks.

Also left out of the info was the following:

It's about $50-60 each way. And your schedule has to be just right to fit the shuttle's departure times: It leaves PDX at 7;15 a.m. and 2 p.m.; and leaves Eugene at 4 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.