We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Hi, I'm planning a trip down the whole of the West Coast the end of July / early August for myself, wife and son (9). Thanks to so many of you who helped with accommodation suggestions before, we have all our reservations in place. We're now looking for some help with the details of the route and would appreciate your help again, please.

Our route through OR to CA looks like this:

Day 1 - Downtown Portland to Yachats

Day 2 - Yachats to Gold Beach

Day 3 - Gold Beach to Garberville, CA

I'm expecting to have between 4 and 6 hours driving per day, but wondered what the best routes are for taking in as much coast as possible with maybe some side trips?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Ah yes, I remember your name acciesfan!

Can't remember though if we gave you suggestions for your route from Portland to Yachats? Newport has much to do and see. Yachats to Gold Beach passes by the Oregon Dunes. you won't have time to take a dune-buggy ride, I don't think, but are you interested in seeing them?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

I think Highway 1 will do you well given your schedule. It is a beautiful route. But if you tire of the coast route there is easy access to I-5 from Gold Beach. Have fun and welcome.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

"Easy" access from I-5 to Gold Beach? Surely you're not suggesting the Forest Service gravel road, mambaboo?

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions, although I am a little confused now - in that part of the coast, are Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 the same road? I don't see Hwy 1 on my map there, but it could just be my eyesight :-)

Hi Half-Brit - you really helped a lot when I posted before. I don't think we looked at the route in that much detail before - I was just looking for the best way to split up the miles and sort out my accommodation back then.

We definitely want to spend some time in Newport on the way to Yachats from Portland. Is it worth taking Hwy 26 and Hwy 6 to Tillamook and then dropping down to Newport, or do you think we should take a more direct route to Newport?

Acciesfan.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Well, I have noticed that the older I get, the smaller the map numbers get, lol! No, you are correct - the coast road is Hwy 101 in Oregon. About 100 miles south of Eureka CA, the road divides, and the coast route is called CA Hwy 1. Hwy 101 continues south to SF, but on an inland route.

Hwy 26 / 6 to Tillamook is a nice drive and is very scenic as the road follows the Wilson River.

Once you get to Hwy 101, you can make a choice to continue southbound on Hwy 101, which goes inland for about 25 miles, or head west to the Three Capes scenic drive. You don't have to go north to Cape Meares, but can go toward Netarts and Cape Lookout. This road hugs the coast for about half of its' 25 miles, then rejoins Hwy 101.

If you feel that you'll be seeing a lot of the coast in the days ahead (which you will), staying on Hwy 101 takes you through typical coastal farmland, along rivers and through trees. There is also a waterfall just off 101 south of Tillamook, Munson Falls:

www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/waterfall.php…

South of Lincoln City, there is a day-use State Park called Boiler Bay which is very pleasant. Then you'll pass through the town of Depoe Bay, famous for the whales. It is also the world's smallest harbour, with a very narrow channel. There is a parking area here at the seawall. Free, lol! Pay-n-parks here tend to be only in the bigger cities, and a few State Parks :-)

Between Depoe Bay and Newport is Cape Foulweather. If you have a clear day, be sure to drive out to the lookout, as it's a great view!

Glad to be of help . . .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Speaking of waterfalls, there's also one on hwy 6 about a half mile past milemarker 30, on the left hand side. I think it's called Fern Rock Creek: http://www.pbase.com/smg9774/image/40203739. Look for a large gravel parking area/pullout.

If you take that route, it would be a shame to miss the views from Cape Meares St. Park, which are accessible by a short walk from the parking lot there.

Carry on!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Oh I always forget about that waterfall, lol!

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Thanks so much for your inputs - I love the waterfalls suggestions.

For the next 2 legs (Yachats to Gold Beach and then down to Garberville), is it best to stick to Hwy 101 again?

I would like to see some dunes - would the best place for that be somewhere between Yachats and Gold Beach?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

Yes, stay on hwy 101 unless there's a loop off it as you go through the redwoods. I'm not sure. Anyone?

The dunes are just south of Florence, which you'll pass by early on day 2. I'm sure you'd all get a kick out of a dune buggy ride.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Coast Trip - route suggestions?

From Yachats all the way south to a little town called Myers Flat south of Eureka, there is really only one road - Hwy 101. There is a short loop you can take from North Bend to Charleston and back out to 101, but I don't feel you gain very much in the way of scenery. There is also a short loop in the south, going east to Carpenterville, but the scenery is better on 101. A third longer loop goes east from south of Coos Bay to Coquille, then out the old road 42S from Coquille to Bandon. It adds about 15 miles, parts of it are slow (even for a Brit, lol!), and again not sure if it adds that much to your sightseeing experience.

At around Myers Flat you can peel off onto old 101 which is called Avenue of the Giants. That is well worth the detour, as you drive through great huge trees!

If you have time when you get to Crescent City, watch for a small sign to the historical cemetery, brown I think. It is after the road splits, I'm thinking *about* 10th Street. Turn to the right and go out to the frontage road, then left, and follow that road around to the jetty and public park area. The lighthouse is out here too. Most folks miss this entirely, but it's a pretty part of Crescent City. Then just take 1st Street back to 101.

Dunes - were you thinking of taking time to go on a dune buggy tour? If so, we can provide you with some websites for more info. South of Florence is probably the best place for a tour ride, otherwise Winchester Bay.

If you just want to *look* at the dunes, the best place I feel is in Winchester Bay. Turn west off 101 at the tiny town of Winchester Bay, and simply follow the paved road west until it ends in about 5 miles. Then you look back - and up - at the big dunes. That is also a very popular area for ATV's / OHV's, so you can seee them flying across the sand.

Don't miss the elk just a few miles east of Reedsport, another worthwhile short detour :-)