We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

Looking to spend a week traveling around the area with my 14 year old 2nd week in June. He would like to ski one or 2 days at Mt Hood, other than that our itinerary is open. Easy mountain biking, sightseeing and some other adventure activities is what we're looking for. Any suggestions with that, eats and lodging would be appreciated.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

If you do the Mt. Hood loop, your son can ski and skiboard at Hood and wind surf on the Columbia at Hood River. Be sure to allow a full day for a visit to Mt. St. Helens...another volcano but with an entirely different story!

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

This place might be open for summer: http://skibowl.com/index.php?page=attractions

Level Contributor
34,226 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

My husband, daughter and her boyfriend loved snowboarding at Mt. Hood this past March. Check out the Columbia Gorge Hotel for lodging. For good eats in Portland, go to the Escape From New York pizza place in the Nob Hill area of Portland, yummy! :)

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

And I think it shares ownership with this place - if you check out the video it looks like it might have the right vibe for your teen.

collinslakeresortvacations.com/pages.php…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

Staying in Portland & elsewhere (make reservations soon !!)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Eating in Portland

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1398-Portland_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_…

Funny, I would suggest Hot Lips Pizza before Escape from NY..all that grease is instant heartburn for us.

Old Town Pizza is good and has the added thrill of being haunted lol

www.oldtownpizza.com

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

For skiing, you will want to head to Timberline (on Mt. Hood), where they run the ski lifts almost year round. Although this was a huge year for snowfall, I doubt any of the other ski areas will still be open in mid-June. You can get there from Portland in about 1.5 hours, but if you plan to ski two days, you might consider staying on the mountain, either at the Timberline Lodge (an historical depression-era lodge that is right at the ski area) or at the Mt. Hood Inn in Government Camp (the "town" on Mt. Hood).

Here are a couple of other suggestions for "adventurous" things to do while you are in the Mt. Hood area. You might consider a 1/2 day or full day rafting trip on the Deschutes River. There are a number of river guide outfits in the town of Maupin, which is about an hour from Government Camp. While you are there, you could also try your hand at fly fishing--there are plenty of guides available who cater to all skill levels. Early to mid-June on the Deschutes typically offers warm (if not hot) weather and very good fishing for native wild trout. If you want to overnight in the Maupin area, I recommend the Oasis Resort. It is VERY rustic, but definitely one of a kind. They would have lots of information about rafting and fishing, too. And they make a great milkshake in their restaurant.

In the Hood River and Columbia Gorge area, there are lots of options. As somebody mentioned, Hood River is a hot bed for wind surfing and kite boarding. The Gorge is a National Scenic Area and has great hiking and vistas, including hikes and views of a number of memorable waterfalls. There are lots of B&B type accommodations in Hood River, along with some motels. Somebody also mentioned the Columbia Gorge Hotel, which is a great option.

Back in Portland, you could satisfy your desire for some easy mountain-biking in Forest Park. You can rent good moutain bikes at Fat Tire Farm (that's the name of the bike shop) in Northwest Portland, and ride from there to the Leif Erickson trail. The first 6 miles or so are gravel with an easy to moderate incline. There are some fun and more challenging trails that branch off. The bike shop can give you directions.

If you plan to stay in Portland for a few days, you might consider staying at the Inn at Northrup Station in Northwest Portland (close to the bike shop and trails I referred to above). It is in a neat part of Portland with lots of shops, restaurants and action. It is also close to the streetcar which can take you to the Pearl District (with more shops and restaurants) and into downtown.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

7. Re: 7 days Portland and Mt Hood area with a 14 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 27, 2009