We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey LittleLisa- what'sup for the 4th of July?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hey LittleLisa- what'sup for the 4th of July?

Hello Lisa and all you other Portland experts.

I will be in your fair city for my nephew's wedding this weekend. He will be leaving on his honeymoon the morning of the 4th, but the rest of us out-of-towners will still be there, at least until evening. Any ideas of how to spend a fun fourth in the Portland area during the day?? We'll be staying in the Cedar Hills area.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey LittleLisa- what'sup for the 4th of July?

The Blues Festival Runs from July 1st through the 4th, along the waterfront. If you are able to stay through the evening, the fireworks show is fantastic. They are set off from a barge on the river, so people gather along the riverfront. It is very convenient to visit the Blues Festival and then watch the fireworks all in the same area.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey LittleLisa- what'sup for the 4th of July?

Hey ya Macjack----

I am still gonna have to come to your fair city sometime so I can ask you lots of questions!

Anyway, the scoop on P-town for the 4th has been mentioned by Mtngrl.

If you are into blues----I would go to the Blues Festival on the Waterfront. Cost of admission is a donation of food. I have been a couple of times and it is some great music.

Second suggestion is actually to go to Fort Vancouver where they have the largest fireworks show on the west coast. It is fabulous. However, it gets really, really crowded. So it's pretty much an all day event.

Probably out of the two I would opt for the Blues Festival. This way, you can wander around the Downtown area and look through the shops or ride down to 23rd street and take in the shops there. There is an Irish Pub there that is out of this world. For the life of me I can't remember the name, I just know I had some awesome food there.

Also, right now they are saying that it could possibly rain on the 4th (slight chance). So, if you are Downtown, you have more options for ducking in if that happans.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey LittleLisa- what'sup for the 4th of July?

Thanks, you all. I realized after this post that there was another July 4th question already posted, so my apologies for any repitition. I wish we could stay for the fireworks, bu twe have to catch the evening flight so we can get to work the next day. But I was hoping that something fun might be going on during the day,and it sounds as though it will!