We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown for an overnight

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
downtown for an overnight

I appreciate everyone's previous input regarding our late June motel/camp trip. We will be spending one night in Portland - 2 sort of, if you count the nearby first night in Hood River. Since we're spending the remainder of the trip camping and rather rustic, we thought one night in downtown, with a nice dinner and perhaps within walking distance to some evening diversions or shopping would be nice. This would be on Tuesday June 24. What would your suggestions be for a room - say up to maybe $150, a view is a plus - a moderately priced dinner, not too dressy (we're fairly adventuresome), and something interesting to do afterwards, hopefully within walking distance?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: downtown for an overnight

Thanks Oregone, ill keep an eye on the bidding for travel post about the Westin.

What was the Benson room like? I like a bit of space

Level Contributor
35,730 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: downtown for an overnight

The Benson is a gorgeous hotel in a great location, we haven't stayed overnight there but did love the ambiance, lobby, etc. when we had lunch there at the London Grill which was very nice. :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: downtown for an overnight

Syrah--I believe the question was about the room size, not what the lobby was like.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: downtown for an overnight

My room at the Benson was small, but even when you win a room on priceline you can call the hotel and ask for an upgrade. BTW, when I bid on a 3* instead of a 4* I got the Hilton. They set me up in a corner room that was twice the size of my room at the Benson. I think I paid $55.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: downtown for an overnight

oregone, that is great! I always was afraid to try doing those deals, figured my luck, I would get the room next to the kitchen or something awful.

Most of the hotels in town have ordinary sized rooms. Some like the Lucia have smaller than normal rooms..but it is a charming hotel. Especially the top floors but they are expensive!

That is why we always liked the Monaco..suites..real suites with sliding glass doors between bedroom with tv and living room with desk, sofa and tv.

The hotels that I have been in but all had ordinary rooms were the Paramount, the Westin , Vintage Plaza and Lucia was smaller.

Heathman has suites. . 2 kinds..the Symphony Suite..not really a suite and the big ones but they really cost a lot.

Funny, I remember checking the hotels,( we were considering spending a week before we left Portland, between leaving our apt and flying out .. in a hotel .. but we had the dog with us.)

I can say that some had nice lobbies but the rooms were ordinary..some had nice rooms and nice lobbies .. it s a bit misleading to think that a nice lobby automatically means the room will be nice too..

All of the hotels allow dogs but charge you, all but the Monaco ..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: downtown for an overnight

Scarlett,

I'm a big fan of priceline, but only because of that biddingfortravel website and the relative guidance said site provides. It's true that sometimes you get the crappiest room (thanks, Hilton Garden Inn, Renton, WA and Shilo Inn East, Seaside, OR), but most of the time you end up pretty golden. Thanks to the bft site you pretty much know which hotel you're most likely to end up with, which helps a lot.

For example, if I need to get out of my apartment for a weekend and i see that people have posted that they're getting the Vintage Plaza for $55, then I jump on it. Also, I'm pretty sure I've stayed at the Astoria Red Lion for as little as $35/night thanks to priceline.

You're right, though: It can be kind of a leap of faith. I feel bad for the people that have unknowingly booked two nights at the Hotel Jupiter thinking they were going to stay at the Convention Center Holiday Inn. Talk about culture shock, eh?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: downtown for an overnight

<<I feel bad for the people that have unknowingly booked two nights at the Hotel Jupiter thinking they were going to stay at the Convention Center Holiday Inn. Talk about culture shock,..."

LOL !! Yes, definitely!

Too bad that now we are out of the country, nevermind Portland! that I learn this. Next visit maybe I will try it...but I am coming after you if I bid on the Monaco and get the Shilo in Seaside LOL

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: downtown for an overnight

Check out the Ace Hotel as well. It's right by a fun, hip restaurant Clyde Common, the best coffee in town Stumptown, and the best bagels at Kenny and Zukes...all are on the same block.

19. Re: downtown for an overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 21, 2009