We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami warnings etc

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
11 posts
Save Topic
Tsunami warnings etc

I noticed last night, after the earthquake in Ca, that a tsunami warning had been issued for the coastline which included Astoria, Seaside, etc.

Does this happen often? and when was the last one that actually occured?

How do you feel about that as far as buying a summer home?

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

The warning was lifted an hour or so after it was issued. According to local news, the only tsunami that killed people and caused significant damage occurred in 1964. It is rare that warnings are issued. Never-the-less, there are tsunami evacuation signs scattered all along the coast. There are two or three plates converging off the coast which cause most of the earthquake activity potentially resulting in tsunamis. The evacuation signs are reminders of the big one that's supposed to hit some day (just like the quake that will level half of California). If beach home prices are a reflection of peoples' concern about a tsunami, no one's worried.

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

We were in the evacuation last night. We had just returned from Cannon Beach after having dinner at Bistro. First of all, let me say this place is amazing. I'll post about it on the restaurant review here. We were home about five minutes and the sirens started going off. We rushed out of the house and fire truck, police were everywere, everyone running out of their homes with blankets, just like you see in the movies. I was terrified, it is very frightening. I started calling loved ones at home and telling them I loved them. We were headed over to our home in Astoria which is on the top of a hill, then the lady directing traffic said it had been cancelled.

It really shook me up, I don't know if there will be more evacutiaons with aftershocks or not. I sure hope not. We have a vacation rental and will now post a sign in our home about what to do during an evacuation. The evacuations were also on the WA coast and up to Alaska.

NYC
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

Thanks for the info.

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

I also learned today that every Wed. @ 7:00pm the sirens will be tested. It will blow about three times. If it continues, it means evacuation. The siren sounds in Gearhart for our area. :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

It rarely happens. The last actual "big wave" occured in 1964 (I think) as a result of the Alaska Earthquake. The warning system is a plus, because it works. Fortunately, almost all warnings are only that. If I were buying a home on the Oregon Coast I would buy with an ocean view high up on a bluff or rock. Not on or near the sand. Even without a tsunami, a big winter storm can wreak havoc on houses (and people) too close to the surf. Oregon has a beautiful coastline, but it is not placid.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

A neighbor was in Manzanita with her husband and kids last night where the reaction to the warning was quite different. She said most people in houses around where they were staying had to be convinced it was a legitimate warning before reluctantly moving to higher ground. The worst part for her was having to wake and move her infant. I was somewhat surprised at her rather casual response, given that a tsunami warning is nothing to be taken lightly. Odd how people react so differently under the same set of circumstances.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami warnings etc

Syrahgirl--I am glad to hear that you will have instructions for your renters. I would think that would be mandatory, but I guess not.

I am with mamababoo, if I were to purchase a home it sure would not be at sea level. Give me something up on a bluff that I could walk down to the water. Then again, I am much more of a mountain girl:)