We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

We'll be driving from Seattle to Portland during Easter weekend and wondering if there are any activities/attractions for us to drop by and do between the cities to help break up the drive. I know there's a big mall at Centralia . . .is there anything else? My daughters are 5 & 7.

Thanks for your ideas! This is a great forum!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

In Centralia, there are the outlets, but IMO, they are not worth a stop. Much better ones elsewhere, especially up north of Seattle at Tulalip/Marysville. And even in Woodburn, just south of Portland. But the Centralia ones...just keep driving. Your timing is too early for Mt .St. Helens, but you might want to pull off there (exit #49) and check out the first visitors center. Very interesting, even for kids. But that is the only thing along the way that is interesting.

Are you stopping in the Skagit Valley on your way down? Your timing is right around the Tulip Festival which is fun.

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Olympia has a fun farmers market near the waterfront; dunno if they'll be open when you go thru, but check:

http://www.olympiafarmersmarket.com/

Visitors center for Mt. St Helens at Silver Lake is good and just off the highway.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/mountsthelens.asp

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Hi happymommy,

We are planning a trip out West in August with 2 kids, 8 and 5. We are driving from Portland (one night) to Seattle (5 nights) then to Hood River (7 nights). We're in the early stages of planning but one thing we are going to do is go to Mt. St Helens during our ride from Seattle to Hood River. Any feedback you have after your trip would be appreciated. Where are you staying in Portland? I am trying to figure that out now. Good luck with your trip.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Seattle to Portland is basically a boring trip--do you have a portable DVD player for the kids? Stop at the rest area just south of Olympia and let them run. Think the outlet mall at Centralia would not be something a 5 and 7 year old would enjoy. When we travel that route with our grandkids, we play the Alphabet Game--who can find a word on a road sign or billboard that begins with A, then B, etc. Q and X tend to be a little challenging.

If you are willing to spend a night on the way, the Great Wolf Lodge and Waterpark at Grand Mound (next to I-5 just north of Centralia) will be opening in mid-March. www.greatwolf.com/locations/grandmound Our kids who live near there said that they are offering some great room rates for their Grand Opening. The waterpark looks like it will be awesome, but you have to be a guest at the hotel to use it.

Note to momtogo--please post your plans on the Oregon and Washington forums, we have many posters here who can give you some great ideas. I'm wondering why you are going from Portland to Seattle and then backtracking to Hood River--I would go from Portland to Hood River then return on the WA side of the Columbia River and drive north to Seattle--do Mt. St. Helens on the way north or on return to Portland--whatever looks like the best weather.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Momtogo, agree with Kitters about posting a separate question about Portland hotels. Include your budget, though, lol! Do you know how to use the TA search system for reviews of hotels & B&B's in your price range? I ask because you're new :-)

I assume you are visiting family or something to spend all that time in Hood River?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your wonderful ideas and tips. Unfortunately we decided to postpone our trip to Portland to another time. We thought it would be too rushed for a short trip in March. We'll try again in the summer!

Thanks again!

(Sorry momtogo . . . I hope you get some great ideas from this forum!)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. We are attending a wedding and visiting family in Hood River. It was less expensive to fly into Portland round trip than to do 2 one way tickets so that is why we are doing some extra driving- we don't mind. We were just hoping to find something of interest along the way to break up the ride. I have already posted on Seattle forum and I think we are all set there for now. I just need to book a hotel in Portland. We will only be there one night and are thinking about the Inn Northrup Station for its location. Thanks again, TA is so helpful when planning a trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
937 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Olympia has a good children's museum (called the Hands On Childrens Museum). It's well placed for easy access to/from I-5.

The Capitol Building is right next door, and is open for tours almost every single day of the year. Both of my children enjoyed the tour.

Have lunch at Wagner's Bakery- excellent European desserts and good sandwiches. It's just 2-3 blocks down the hill, on Capital Way, from the musuem.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

Northwest Trek Wildlife Park in Eatonville (near Mt. Ranier) is a great option. Part of it is a walk around zoo and part is accessed by a tram ride where you view the wildlife as it roams free.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for kids between Seattle and Portland?

To the last two posters, they are already here... Easter weekend. Agree with your advice, however. Good ideas.