We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family-friendly hotels downtown

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Family-friendly hotels downtown

My husband found a great deal on airfare from Florida to Portland in July 2008 (Southwest). Now we need to book a hotel. Can you please provide suggestions for family-friendly hotels downtown? I looked at prices for the Embassy Suites -- nearly $250/night. This is more than we paid in Chicago last summer!

TIA from your Naples, Florida local expert,

LZRandall

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Oops, I should mention that we have three boys (11, 8, 6). We usually bring sleeping bags with us so that two are on the floor and one is on the sofabed or cot.

LZRandall

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

This is my list of downtown hotels..

some are expensive..but downtown Portland has just so many hotels so at certain times of the year, they are just as expensive as any other city.

The Monaco Portland ( 5th Avenue Suites) is a Kimpton hotel as is the Vintage Plaza...Kimptons are not known to be real bargains but they do have specials sometimes.

You are visiting at the peak (or just about) of Summer Tourist season..expect things to be more expensive...Portland/ Oregon has many many visitors every summer..

The Inn at Northrup Station might do nicely for you, they have a kitchenette in some rooms and a bbq upstairs..right on the streetcar line..

Good luck !!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

How about the Residence Inn at Riverplace? Not the greatest location (south end of downtown core), but close to the streetcar line. They've got an indoor pool too, I believe.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Check out the POVA website, you can get discounted hotel rooms that come with complimentary parking and continental breakfast. We have enjoyed several stays at the Riverplace Hotel and one at the Heathman Hotel (downtown) in the Symphony Suite.

Have fun your trip! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Syrahgirl--You can get that exact same deal by booking with the hotel directly. We did that in October at the Heathman. Too bad we couldn't stay at the Monaco as they were booked though.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

A few of the hotels in town offer complimentary coffee and some have wine tastings..like the Monaco and the Vintage Plaza.

One of the nice things about the Monaco is that they are a Suites hotel..you can get regular rooms but it is mostly suites.

And it is much less stuffy than the Heathman and the rooms are truly suites, where the Heathman has some suites that are not a bargain and some that are a big room with a bed at one end.

www.POVA.com is great for finding out what is going on at a particular time of year too..so do look at it.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Thanks for your input, everyone. I did look at that Sticky Post about hotels before I posted to this forum. I'd like some really honest opinions about the Monaco, the Heathman, and the Embassy Suites.

LZRandall

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Even though we live here, we stay in downtown occassionally, so here is my personal take. Embassy Suites...have not stayed there, but have been in the lobby for what that is worth, lol! The Heathman...stayed in a Symphony Suite a couple months ago. Nice enough, but stodgy and not truly a suite, IMO. I did not appreciate the maid coming in early in the morning that we were leaving, even though when she knocked I said to come back later. Breakfast was not impressive, but the hotel was great at taking care of a special request I had upon checkin. The Monaco...have stayed there at least half a dozen times. Love it! True suites, very large rooms. The bedroom area is separated by french doors, the sitting area is large enough for 4 or 5 people to enjoy themselves, huge bathrooms, very helpful staff yet not pretentious at all. Their valet parking is underground, so if it is raining, you stay dry. They also give you a discount if you are driving a hybrid. They have an excellent restaurant, the Red Star Tavern, on site as well. Last fall when we stayed at the Heathman, the only reason we chose that hotel was because the Monaco was full.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

I agree with the OP that Portland hotels are pretty darn pricey, but then they are in most larger cities ... sigh.

What about just a "motel"? Here is the listing for Portland lodging under $100. Some are out near the airport, Jantzen Beach or other outlying areas, but some are very near to the downtown area. You can click on the B&B tab to get a few other ideas.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g52024-Portland_Orego…

You can also change the listing to "under $200" to get the next level up.

Are you planning on renting a car? If so, an outlying place might be suitable. Portland has the MAX train that goes into downtown from several areas outside the city, so you would not have to drive into downtown.

We usually stay at the Oxford Suites in Jantzen Beach, very quiet, about $110 for two, free full breakfast buffet, free shuttle to MAX then 20-25 minutes to downtown, walk to a big grocery store, Burger King across the street. True it's not the downtown atmosphere, so depends on what you'd like!

Good luck :-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family-friendly hotels downtown

Almost 3 years ago, we visited Portland and stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites. ( now the Monaco Portland)..we stayed 2 weeks. We had a King Suite, high floor.

There was nothing about this hotel that we did not like, right down to the Red Star Tavern and their breakfast ( room service) and the service in the hotel..

That trip we decided to move to Portland..so we went back and stayed for 10 days at the Monaco while we did our househunting..then when we moved, we stayed there until our mover arrived with the furniture.

That trip and stay at the hotel included our dog. He still has his water bowls and mats for his dishes :)

( the 3rd floor is the Pet Floor) you will only see pets in the lobby..although Pup was welcomed during wine tasting by the fireplace each evening too :)

We stayed there again, last April, for 4 days, before we left the country.

I have nothing to say against this hotel.

It is not cheap. But we always got our moneys worth.

We thought of staying at another hotel before we left, just to try something different.

All of the hotels rooms were smaller..even the suites. The Heathman charges more, the suites are smaller and the true suites cost a LOT.

The hotel restaurant never made us happy and there are these parties on weekends with really loud people that made me fear having a room on their floor :)

The Lucia is lovely but the rooms are tiny. But their restaurant Typhoon is wonderful!

The Vintage is very nice but the rooms are hotel rooms..we got spoiled by the Suites.

Their restaurant Pazzo is nice. With a great bakery and cafe a couple doors down.

The Westin is nice, a typical big hotel...no suite.no bargain and no charm. But the Daily Cafe is good.

That is about all I can think of to tell you :o)