We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Portland to Southern CA in Mid Dec

Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Portland to Southern CA in Mid Dec

I will be driving from Portland to Southern California Dec 14. I have been reading on the forum here about the snowy mountain pass road, which freaks me out. Will I have ok driving conditions to Ashland, (meaning no snow driving conditions), and then I think I would cut over to the coastal route to avoid the mountain pass. I don't have chains, should I get them for carrying just in case?

Thanks,

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Oregon
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Portland to Southern CA in Mid Dec

The latest weather report in Southern Oregon has snow rolling into the mountains about 10 PM. The prediction is for 1 - 2 inches in the Siskiyou Mts (the big ones on the border.) This will slow things down a bit, but won't close anything. On my earlier post, I suggested pushing through to Redding. I still reccomend it. It'll put you far beyond any snow and make for smooth sailing on Saturday morning. It will take you 5 hours to get to Medford and then another 2 hrs to get to Redding, +/- 1/2hr total trip.

As far as the other mountain passes north of Grants Pass, there is no reason for concern (Sexton, Smith Hill, Stage Rd., & Cayon Creek.) They will be clear. You'll have a better chance seeing snow in the Portland Hills then on these.

If you choose to stay in Ashland/Medford, you'll still be fine Saturday morning, but it will be much slower going over the Pass. When it snows they plow it regularly, but it's slows things down and even if you don't have to put on your chains it will be slushy & requiring safe/slow driving. Just take it nice & easy.

If you want to pick up chains, a convenient Les Schwab would be in Grants Pass. Take the first Grants Pass exit (coming from Ptown.) This will drop you onto 6th Street. It's a one way and roughly 4 blocks down you'll find Les Schab on your right. It's just after the Carl's Jr. & right before DQ. They will have them for you in minutes. To get back on the Freeway, hop on 6th St. again and get in the left lane. At any intersection take a left and go one block. This will bring you to 7th St. It's a one way and you'll need to turn left on it...this will take you back toward the Freeway. Get in your right lane & look for signs to I5 South. Just after Burger King & Sizzler, there is a stop light/intersection. Taking a right here puts you on the on-ramp to I5 South. From Grants Pass to Ashland is about 45 minutes. Another 45 minutes beyond Ashland has you over the Siskiyou Summit.

Piece of cake!!! Drive safely & enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Redding
Redding
California
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Portland to Southern CA in Mid Dec

We made the drive with great weather all the way home. They were predicting possible rain/snow Saturday, so we drove from Portland to Yreka Friday. Saturday Yreka to Sacramento. NO rain, no snow, just cold. We seemed to be a day ahead of the bad weather. Thanks for everyone's advise. We did get chains just in case, and will keep them for future use if needed.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
13. Re: Drive from Portland to Southern CA in Mid Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, September 15, 2009