We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See's Downtown

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Must See's Downtown

I will have one full day next week in downtown with nothing planned and was wondering what the must see attractions are? I am a New York City resident so I am not interested in shopping but would love must see stores and neighborhoods. Any help would be great.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See's Downtown

Hi

My suggestion would be take the Steetcar and just get on and off at which ever stop appeals to you. The streetcar runs a big loop through town so it is quite a good way to sightsee.

I like the Pearl District for the new/old aspect...they called themselves a sort of Soho ... lots of warehouses etc converted into nice apt bldgs and shops .. lots of galleries and coffee shops, good restaurants..

NW23rd ( or as couple of tourists will say -Nob Hill) is good..a long street that has a gazillion shops of every sort, fun for looking, not neccesary to shop :)

and good food..behind 23rd is the neighborhood..

If you go uphill, you will see the amazing beautiful homes on the West Hill, if you were to walk 23rd , on Hoyt or Glisan..you can go back towards the Pearl and NW 10th..going through great neighborhoods of old apt bldgs, Arts & Crafts homes in all states of age and renovated to former beauty..and some very nice little parks.

The trees and flowers and birds wherever you go make it a lovely walk.

Chinatown, go down 12th St and past the North Park Blocks and you will see it..small but definitely Chinese :)

Hope this helps :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See's Downtown

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1065-What_a_Si…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i966-Gardens_in…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See's Downtown

Without knowing what kind of stores you might be interested in, coming from Manhattan, the only "must see" one in Portland I would recommend is Powell's Books, the largest independent bookstore on the planet. Otherwise, we're very small-town by comparison. So, if your aim is to get a feel for Portland's vibe, I think Scarlett's suggestion is a good one. And I'd add that you should hop off the streetcar somewhere around Pioneer Square. What day of the week will you be here?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must See's Downtown

Definitely Powell's Books!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must See's Downtown

Realizing you have only one full day, and that you might not have a car, and that this suggestion runs counter to your posting, but...

If you will have a car, I'd drive the Columbia River Gorge.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must See's Downtown

I always gotta give a shout out to the eastside of portland :) - it wouldn't be as convient, but you could take the bus over to the Hawthorne District if you have time.

Powells Books is pretty cool-defietnly a 'microcosim' of the portland vibe.

Next week I think the weather is supposed to be nice- if you have a chance go up to Washington Park and the ROse Test Gardens for some good views-if its clear- if its cloudy don't bother.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must See's Downtown

Excellent suggestion, voyaging .... I assumed Evan would not have a car, but if so, that would be a nice day out. And then there's always the coast :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must See's Downtown

Thanks all for the responses, I like the Streetcar idea as I enjoy driving through different areas and jumping on and off. I will not have a car and do not plan on renting on. I already knew of the the book store but thanks for the confirmation.

I am a native NYC guy so I am not worried about getting lost and undesireable neighborhoods or blocks so thanks for the information.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must See's Downtown

Most likely, the areas you will be walking and sightseeing in are not bad areas at all.

We lived in the Pearl and walked everywhere.. I never felt unsafe ( we are from NYC too )...

If you like Vietnamese food, Silk is on the streetcar line and a great place to stop and sip some hot pho and warm up ..

Don't even bother trying Pizza lol...all my Portland friends are sick of my Where is the good pizza whine :)

There is plenty to keep you busy in town..

Remember the Pittock Mansion, Japanese Gardens and the Chinese Gardens that are right in town..small and easy to stroll through and can be a nice break from the city sidewalks etc..

Get postcards at Powells City of Books to send home :)

Go to the Pearl Bakery for a hot cappucino and gilbasier and tell me how it was ( homesick noises here)...

Stop in at Vault on 12th and Everett for a Blood Orange Margarita or a reeeally good Martini and sit by the fire..

enjoy :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must See's Downtown

Is the Pyramid Brewery Restaurant still there ?

Never heard of it.

That would be Multnomah Village..charming :) But out of downtown..