We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Downtown

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Downtown

We are traveling to Portland in September via AMTRAK. How difficult is it to get a rental car at the depot or hotel in town.

I remember from my military days at Ft Lewis, WA there was a saying ; "If you can see the mountain in the morning it will rain in the afternoon. If you can't see the mountain in the morning that's because it's raining." Other than raincoats should we bring along fall jackets.? When do the fall colors start to show up in the NW?

REDLEG

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Downtown

There is a rental car agency downtown right on Burnside and I think it may be Enterprise. It would be very easy to rent one but keep in mind that hotels charge a premium for parking. You can park your car for free on the street between 7 p.m. and 8 a.m.

We generally have some of our best weather in September but there is no rain free guarantee. A light rain jacket and a fleece or sweater to layer underneath is probably fine.

The NW has more evergreens than diciduos so our fall colors are not as brilliant as other states. The leaves are at their peak in late Sept. and early Oct.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Downtown

A lightweight jacket ought to do the trick. Think it over about bothering to rent a car. If most of your acitvity is in the city public transport and walking are the best bet. That said, if a car is a must Enterprise is reasonable. Have fun and welcome!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Downtown

I flew into Portland recently for a few days and had absolutely no need for a car. Public transit in the city is cheap, convenient, and easy to use.

4. Re: Rental Car Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 05, 2009