We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

las vegas, NV
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

I will be moving to the Portland area soon to attend school and work. Im not much of a big city person and I was wondering if there are any areas driving distance (30 min max) from North Portland that are somewhat secluded and remote. You know, big trees and posiblly some nice ponds, lakes, rivers,etc. Basically Im looking for some country near the city!

Does anyone know what area would be best for this?

P.S. I especially love older homes which I would hope to find!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

It all depends on if you will be travelling during rush hour. If not, you could check out Beavercreek, Oregon City, Canby, Aurora, Wilsonvillle, Molalla, Banks, Cornelius, Scapoose. A couple of these would be longer than a 30 minute commute downtown.

Portland has about 600,000 in the city limits but sprawls to about 2 million when you consider the burbs.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

You say north Portland where are you going to school Univ of Portland?.

Oregon
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

You might consider St Helens or Scappoose area. The commute would be avoiding many freeways or traffic to/from Washington State.

las vegas, NV
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

Yes. U of Portland is the school I am considering for my MBA.

Thanks for the response and I will look into some of these areas right away!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

Oops! I missed the part saying "from N Portland." Yes, Scapoose is probably your best bet. I lived there for a while when I was a kid and it was VERY remote back then. Things have changed but it is still remote.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

as others have said Scapoose, St Helens and nearby are possibles. You could also go over Germantown Road and see if there is anything there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

I lived not far from UP for 5 years. that whole area seems sort of out of the city. Every thing west of about Greeley. St Johns nice little neighbor hood "town". Many of streets treelined. You can even walk to school. Many older homes.

Before you spend all your loking out Scapoose way suggest you at least check area near UP.

Scapoose St Helens must be 25,000 people now, many using same road you would to get to work. I wonder if you would consider even that remote. Portland metro is as other poster says 2 million.

Area near UP has strong UP influence, cause a lot of strudents live in area, or at least did..

8. Re: Looking for Remote, Secluded area near Portland to Live!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 05, 2009