We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Seattle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Seattle

We (2 adults)will be travelling from San Francisco to Seattle Sept.25-26.and would like to see as much of the scenery as possible. We had thought of driving but have not driven in USA previously or on the right-hand side of the road for over 30 years. We are interested in the North California coast and the redwood forests but the train travels at least half the trip through the night. Stopping over on the way was planned. Any suggestions?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

You can see almost nothing in 2 days. SF to Seattle direct on I-5 will take most of that time.

Train gets no where near Redwoods.

Hope you have more time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

I thought this was only 817 miles. How bad is the road?

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

"Only" 800 + miles is still 400 miles a day on a very boring freeway. The scenic route is on the coast, along Hwy 101, through northern Calif. and Oregon, but requires more than two days. On the I-5 route, there would be some opportunities to stop and stay in the Redwoods somewhere for the night just south of the Oregon border. The southern Oregon section of the freeway is rather more interesting, but still not a good representation of all that beautiful state has to offer. Please consider seeing the Oregon coast for a small part of your drive, if you choose to that rather than the train.

I agree about driving on the unfamiliar side of the road. My husband seems to be able to adjust right away, but it practically gives me vertigo for a few days.(: >)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

817 must be I-5. There are no Redwoods on I-5

101through Redwoods and up oregon Coast to Lincoln City thne inland to I-5 is close to 900 miles

101 through Redwoods and inland to Grants Pass is a little less but still almost 900 miles. This possible route for you, you could overnight in Crescent City 360 miles from SF, then inland to Grants Pass and I-5 and to Seattle 520 miles or so. That does not give yopu much stopping time in Redwoods.

You don't say how you might get out of San Francisco.If from airport it is more time.

I do not think Oregon Coast is possible in two days because it is slow.

My worst experience driving in England was first few miles out of Gatwick in London. I did ok with left side drive after I got past that first 30 miles out of the maze from Gatwick.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

I'd practice a bit and drive at least part of the time. The Northern California coastline is incredible. The trip form San Francisco on Highway 1 (Coast Route) to say somewhere around Ashland, Oregon takes a bit longer than a freeway drive but is well worth the scenery of ocean and redwoods. From Ashland on up to Seattle, if time is short, take I-5 or chuck the car and fly. Have a wonderful visit!

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

Just got back from a road trip and drove I-5 from Sacramento to Portland in 1 day which was about 11 hours of driving with limited stops(like restroom breaks only). Even in two days- will be a tiring trip. You probably wont see much, but wil get an limited overview of what west coast has to offer.

Assuming you mean the Amtrak train from SF to Seattle. That trip is notorious for being late into Seattle for various reasons, but I heard that it has been emproving in coming in on time. Also train does not go through the redwoods.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

I agree Cal-1 pretty spectacular, but not a way to go when you only have two days. It is slow drive. 101 will get you to Redwoods quicker.

8. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 02, 2009