We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

We will be spending our anniversary weekend in Portland at the end of the month. We've narrowed our choice to the Monaco or the Embassy. We are a mature couple and enjoy exploring new cities, especially restaurants, museums and galleries, cafes, etc. We prefer spacious rooms in a hotel with some pizazz. So which is it? Monaco or Embassy? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

There really is no comparison, imo.

I always stayed at the 5th Ave Suites/Monaco but I am pretty sure budget makes a difference, they are not really in the same price catagory..Enjoy Portland, it is a lovely city with great people..

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

This one is easy - Hotel Monaco!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Both are nice, but the area around The Monaco has one up on the Embassy Suites.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

I just checked into the Hotel Monaco. What is so special about the surrounding area? All I tell is that driving a car is a great big pita in the downtown area. I'll have to figure out the buses & trains for transpo...

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Hotel Monaco rooms are small. I've stayed at both and prefer the Embassy suites.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Styro--The Monaco location is great because it is so central. You can leave your car parked there and walk to anywhere in downtown, even the NW district. The streetcar is a good alternative if you don't care for walking though. As far as driving in downtown, I find it easy, but then again I know my way around. So maybe that is the reason.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

The Hotel Monaco suites are very large, but then, I never stayed in a regular room there..but the entire hotel has been renovated , the beds are amazing and you can walk out the door and be in the midst of town with easy access to the streetcars and shopping, and great restaurants.

If you are from California, you might be familiar with the Kimpton Hotel chain, that would be the Monaco and the Vintage Plaza..

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Mtngrl - You have probably hit the nail with that last sentence. I strolled around a bit and might get some myself straightened out eventually.

I'll give you this - the people in Portland, and for that matter Oregon, are all very polite in an extreme. Stop walking on an intersection curb and drivers will stop and wave for you to cross. Bump into, or brush against someone and you'll get an apology. Even the homeless people I ran into on my walk to Washington Park (that was hike!) were not only not begging/demanding money, but were actually friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

LOL, Styro, just keep in mind that when you leave Portland, don´t step off the curb expecting someone to stop for you.. Since leaving Portland about 6 weeks ago, we have had to remind ourselves that those pedestrian crossing rules do not even exist in some places lol.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monaco Suites vs. Embassy Suites

Scarlett--So true! I was just thinking about that last night. When we go to Paris next month I will have to be more careful crossing the streets than I am here.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France