We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train San Fran to Portland

ilo
nz
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
train San Fran to Portland

hi,

I'm planning to go San Fran to Portland (then to Seattle) via train late Sept or early Oct. How long does the train SF-Portland take?

Is there nice scenery along the way? Are there any other stops / towns along the way that you would recommend? And what would the weather be like at that time of year?

Thanks for any help :)

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train San Fran to Portland

The Amtrak website can answer that for you..I know from Chico to Portland it is around 16 hours...give or take...the train seems to often run late. Just go to Amtrak and put in your route and you will get the complete time schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train San Fran to Portland

I have Amtrak schedules here at home. Total trip about 18 hours

Train leaves Oakland at close to 10PM. At 6AM you will be near Mt Shasta. By Oct will probably stll be dark at that time. But you will be able to look back and see it before Klamath Falls. Scenery fairly nice from K Falls to Eugene along and over Cascade mtns and two or three good sized lakes. and Willamette Rivers

Scenry ok from Eugene to Portland, better from Portland to Seattle.

If you get off inPortlan suggest you consider one of the 4 daily Cascades. They are a bit more dependable for time since they start in NW. Coast Starlight not always on time. It satarts in LA

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train San Fran to Portland

Hi! I just rode the train a couple weeks ago from Klamath Falls (south end of the state) to Portland, and loved it! The train was running quite behind-apparently it frequently is, so just make sure you plan extra time on it in case. I have to agree with the above poster that the scenery is better before Eugene, but still is pretty and pleasant. The scenery across the Cascades is beautiful. The weather will probably still be pleasant-warm, but nice. Maybe rainy, possibly a dusting of snow across the Cascades if they've gotten a storm. I think you'll have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
ilo
nz
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train San Fran to Portland

Many thanks everyone for the terrific info.

That is a good idea to change trains in Portland to one of the Cascades.

If the train is late in Oakland, do you just wait around in the station or what? Is the station safe at that time of night?

thanks again :)

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train San Fran to Portland

I have never been in station there. Have been in Jack London Sq, would wonder how safe if train really late. but someone from Bay Area better source than me. have you posted to Cal boards?. Maybe you could get better help.

Furthest south I have been on Amtrak is Sacramento.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train San Fran to Portland

My two cents. We travelled Portland to SF and booked a sleeper. However did not get hardly any sleep, the train tracks are old and the train clunked and shuddered all night, with the whistle blowing too. We left Portland at 3pm, arrived in Oakland at 7am. My daughter came from SF to Portland, the train was 6hrs late, and yes she had to just wait at the station, where the vending machine was out of order. There were quite a few passengers waiting, so she did not feel insecure.

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
91 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train San Fran to Portland

As others have said, give yourself a lot of time. In the state of oregon the freight trains have right of way to the passenger trains, so often the passenger train has to just sit and wait while freight trains go by. The Cascades is a wonderful train, they show first run movies so the time flies by when the scenery gets slow!

8. Re: train San Fran to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 19, 2009