We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

Seattle
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that gave me advice, suggestions and recommendations.

Our somewhat last minute weekend in Portland was great!

Hotel: Four Points Sheraton - not exactly my first choice but we secured a killer rate through Priceline. While the location was good the rooms were just so-so; nothing special to write about. Because we had booked and paid online both checkin-in and check-out were very easy. Parking seems to be less at $15/day versus some of the other hotels further inside the downtown core.

Dinner at Fenouil:

One word...WOW!!

Okey...more words...the food was fabulous, the wine was fabulous, and the service was fabulous. My husband had escargots and the scallops; he nothing but great things to say inbetween bites. I had the lobster beignets and the gnocchi a la Parisienne - only to be described as melt-in-your-mouth heavenly!

Burgers at Skylne Restaurant - I'm sad to say...it was just ok. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting. It was better than the average burger but honestly, not that special. Atmosphere was just 'ok' also. My main complaint is really the Food Network and their editing for making it seem more 'nifty' that I actaully found it to be.

Powell's City of Books - A must for any bookworm! I prepared myself with a list of books and walked out with almost all of them plus a few that weren't!! If not for my husband dragging me out, I would have spent a couple of hours. Powells seems very well laid out for its size. Signage to help find the section you want were easy to read. Staff were friendly too.

Sadly I didn't do as much shopping as I had planned but I can try to squeeze that in the next time I go to Portland.

I liked Portland. Fabulous first impression! Very easy to get around, very walkable with wonderful public transit for when one's feet start to tire. We will surely come visit again.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

LOL at the tram:) I took three 16 yr old girls into downtown this morning and we all talked about the tram. I was glad to see they realized what it was built for and not the misconception that some people have;)

I took the girls to a place for lunch that even Scarlett had not been to. Yes, believe it or not:) The Park Bistro, which is about a block from Nordstrom. Very good!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

Not sure you're thinking of the same teriyaki place, GatorWade. This one is a stand alone building. Regardless, the "thrift" part just might fit. Note that I didn't comment on quality. ;-) Stanich's? Now there's a burger!!

Thanks for the Park Bistro recommendation, Mtngrl. It's at the top of my list next time I'm in the area. ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

Shame on you Mistletoe...Mashita's in King City.....

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

mistletoe--LOL! I seem to recall hearing that line quite a bit...hmmmmm.....lol!

Portland
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

Mistletoe, I think it's the same place. It's a stand alone building across from the theatres in Tigard, on Hwy 99. The thrift store is behind it, but they share a sign. Glad to hear from another Stanich's fan.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

Chicogirl..... that swoosh you hear? It's the sound of something that just wen over my head. But I hope I'm not shaming myself further by laughing about it. :-)

You're right, GatorWade. That's the place. Laughing about that too. It's really not that bad though. The owners will proudly tell you that a former Trailblazer used to be one of their best customers, for what that's worth. Tigard's police force seems to like it too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

A former Trailblazer lives a couple houses down the street from me!!!! I wonder if he eats teriyaki?

28. Re: Mini-Trip Recap - 4/13-1/15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 30, 2009