We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland area "must-sees"

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northeast-city
5 posts
Save Topic
Portland area "must-sees"

I'd love some suggestions. My husband and I will be in Portland for 5 nights before we go to Yakima, WA on our way to Seattle. For day trips, We are planning a day to the coast, a day along the Columbia River, one in Portland, one down to the wineries... Am looking for those "gems" that the tour books miss or give short shrift. Also, great local food that doesn't have to be expensive.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

If you decide to go to Astoria in addition to the Maritime Museum you might enjoy the Astor Colum, it was constructed in celebration of the Lewis and Clerk expedition. If it is a clear day at all you can see the mountains and forests to the east, Astoria City and the Columbia River below with the Pacific Ocean to the west, all the ship traffic is at your feet, an awesome sight.

Scarlett01, I can't speak to Astoria but in the Manzanita and Seaside areas it was not raining during the day Sunday, it was mostly cloudy with some afternoon sun breaks, cool and windy at the beach but not rainy. Hope you will continue to post here from time to time after your move. I appreciate your Rose City restaurant suggestions, my mother in law is impressed with my new found eatery knowledge. HoHo!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Tyr... thank you! What a nice compliment and what a responsibility!!

I have to keep you well informed now! lol~

I will have a hard time not posting here, I am sure I will miss Portland and my friends a Lot!

I will let my husband know that we have to go out tomorrow night so I can add to your list :)

Scarlett~

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Hi Tyr52, gorgeous day here in Seaside today! Lovely Hula Hands has great food. We enjoyed the ahi tuna carpaccio with jalapeno oil, avocdo and preserved meyer lemon for an appetizer, the northern halibut with grilled asparagus, roasted potatoes and a kumquat, gold beet and almond relish and the rhubarb tart with candied orange peel ice cream for dessert.

A true "gem" to the Portland dining scene, we will be back! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Yes, some people think Portland is full of "gems"..Lovely Hula Hands has been around for a while.

There are quite a few brand new "gems" in town now- it makes it quite a difficult choice for a visitor to decide on which to choose.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Meanwhile, we have just made reservations to have a nice dinner at Higgins this week.

I forget about this restaurant when recommending places, it is truly a Gem (if one must use that word ) and while maybe not inexpensive, I think it is among the best in the city.

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Hi again educatedtraveller, just thought I'd mention another great place for a meal in Portland. Ten 01 was really nice for lunch yesterday, a gorgeous building in the Pearl District of Portland with excellent food.

We enjoyed the Sellwood area also for antique shopping in Portland. We had not been to that area of Portland in a long time, it was alot of fun! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Amazing syrahgirl, you were at Ten01 for lunch?

We were in there yesterday too, Mtngrl and I had lunch at Fenouil but we had to stop by Ten01 for me to say hello to someone.

My friend is the pastry chef, I hope you had dessert. Mtngrl and I had lunch there a few weeks ago, although my husband and I go for drinks and dinner, lunch is very nice, isn't it?

What did you have ?

Did you look at the Gerding Theatre while you were there?

Tell us about your visit to my neighborhood!

I guess you are back in California again, I bet the weather is better than we are having here..

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

Syrah--Glad to see you took our suggestion for Ten01:) We probably saw you there. We didn't stay long, but as Scarlett said we did stop by to chat with her friend.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

I thought my husband drove fast, but to leave Cannon Beach in the morning, have lunch in Portland, go antiquing in Sellwood and make it to Ashland for dinner, someone did some might fast driving !!

We will have to have alerts next time there is a drive-through scheduled lol.

20. Re: Portland area "must-sees"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 29, 2009