We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Seattle

Omaha
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak to Seattle

I'm scheduled to take the early morning train from Portland to Seattle in about a week. I was wondering if I should request a window seat facing East or West to get the best scenery. I was guessing West but really don't know the area at all. Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak to Seattle

JC:

I posted a response to your question a couple days ago (in the Amtrak/Bolt Bus question):

"Heading northbound to Seattle has a better view facing west IMO. Views of the Columbia River north of Portland and, later, of the bays and islands between Olympia and Seattle. Enjoy!"

Edited: 10:06 am, September 21, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak to Seattle

i too would guess west - my wife took the train north a few months ago and she remembers being assigned a car but wasnt sure if she was given a specific seat

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak to Seattle

Yes, they assign seats, not just cars. You get the seat assignment as you line up to board. If the train is not very full, they do try and give everyone a window seat, and on the scenic side. You can also just ask for that:)

Omaha
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak to Seattle

Thanks so much!

Reply to: Amtrak to Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted