We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mark Spencer hotel?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mark Spencer hotel?

We're invited to a wedding that will be at the Governor Hotel. The "wedding rate" there is $150. We would also have to pay extra for parking.

I found a great rate at the Mark Spencer Hotel through the Portland Big Deal for $109 that INCLUDES parking and breakfast.

Is this an OK hotel? It looks like it is only about 3 blocks from the Governor - would this be a SAFE walk very late at night? We don't need fancy, just clean, simply a place to sleep after the wedding so we don't have to drive anywhere.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Mark Spencer should be fine for you, Warmwinds. It's everything your're asking for: clean, and surrounding area is safe.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

I stayed at the Mark Spencer once, it was clean and comfortable, doesn't the light rail pass about one block away? Thinkso but not sure.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Yes, the streetcar runs past the Marks Spencer ( SW 11th) and it is (according to friends who stayed there recently) "quite nice!"..

They have rooms that have a little kitchen in them too.

OK hotel, OK area, an easy walk around the downtown area as well as the Pearl..you can jump on the streetcar and get all over town from there.

Some nights here in the Pearl are more "boisterous:" than others, with concerts and shows letting out, bars etc..you can get a mix of loud overly happy young'uns as well as drunks and unhappy people.

Very late at night in Portland, I would take a cab most places.

From the Governor, you should be fine though :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Thanks everyone. Hope I don't sound cheap by wanting to save $70+ by walking 3 blocks. Are 10th and 11th about equal in terms of lights/people etc? Looks like we can zig-zag several ways between 10th and Alder and 11th and Washington. This will be in May so hopefully the weather will be nice.

But if it WAS pouring rain would a taxi mind taking us that short distance if we called one from the Governor?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Six of one, half dozen of the other; Alder to 11th, then north would be the shortest. But 10th might be just a little better lit. What? Rain? Here in Portland? In May? Never!! ;-) I'm sure taxis have a minimum fare, but don't expect the driver to be too happy about being dispatched late at night for a three (short) block ride. The walk from the Governor to the Mark Spencer is only about 300 yards.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Why spend that money on a room when you can shop or eat with it ?? lol No one thinks you are cheap...believe me.

I would walk stay on 11th. You can take the streetcar til 11 pm. Which probably is not late enough.

No, cabs don't have problems with short fares..the hotel will get one for you if they are not sitting there waiting.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

We'll obviously have to walk FROM the Mark Spencer TO the Governor for the wedding, so we'll take one street, and see how we like the "feel" of it, then either go back that way or the other. I'm sure it won't be a bad walk at all. I don't mind walking in the rain, I was more concerned about messing up my dress shoes, so I might just bring them in a bag and change when I get there.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

I am going on soon, I will take the walk there and a different one back and let you know which one I would do late at night :)

I can practically wave hello to you from my terrace !

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Hi!!

From the door of the Mark Spencer Hotel walking on 11th to the door of the Governor Hotel is one and a half blocks.

The MS is at the far end of its block, there is a streetcar stop past it. Just walk out of the hotel, turn right, walk that half block, the next block is parking lot of one side, half parking, half building on the other..then you are at the Governor..it takes up the whole end of that block..there is a Starbucks on the corner, you can walk in there and go through it into the lobby or go to the hotel entrance. Same on 10th, you can walk in through Jakes and into the hotel lobby.

Hope this helps !!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mark Spencer hotel?

Oh, that's right, there's a back door to the Governor, isn't there...