We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

What is your pick for an affordable lunch or dinner in Portland that really showcases the food of Oregon? Wildwood's sounds lovely but I think it's out of my price range. Where else can I savor local cuisine for $20 (lunch) or $30 (dinner) for two, excluding alcohol? I only have one lunch and one dinner in PDX, so I need to be selective! Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

Hi

If you just read the posts here that discuss food ( which it seems we do a Lot! lol) you can pick out some places and get ideas .. I know most of the restaurants here are online so you can look at their menus and prices.

Lunches here are easy, you can have an affordable lunch at most places, depends on what you have.

Look at Silk on Glisan..if you like Vietnamese.

Everett Street Bistro, open for breakfast lunch and dinner.. we eat there too often lol. I like everything but not sure of pricing, they have a website.

Henrys is a great affordable lunch, Henrys Tavern & Grill..

they have a website.

You might notice I am being lazy, I can't take time right now to get websites for you but just google the names..

Red Star Tavern & Grill is good for lunch and dinner, you might like lunch better pricewise.

On NW 21st street is Cafe Mingo, a great little pasta restaurant, great prices..lunch in that area might be at Miso Happy, on NW 23rd, waaay affordable :)

Hope this helps, Scarlett ( taking a break in the middle of packing lol)

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

Thanks for the feedback Scarlett.

Unfortunately I don't have time to pick through that really long post from just the other day (limited internet access!).

I was hoping for some more NW/Oregon-specific restaurants (rather than Vietnamese, pasta, etc).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

Denver--While that thread is long, is is loaded with good info.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

LOL, I am sorry, I did not think, err, maybe NW Thai or Vietnamese? lol

OK, I will put a list together for you, it is keeping me out of having to pack another box :)

http://www.everettstreetbistro.com/

http://higgins.citysearch.com/

www.redstartavern.com/redmenu/index.html

You know, I just re-read your post and I think these are too expensive too, $20 or $30 for two is tough.

Look at http://www.henrystavern.com/index.cfm

their prices are great, lunch or dinner.

Hope this helps some..sorry I cannot provide more links..

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

If you are in Portland during the Farmers market- there might be some good things for lunch here.

portlandfarmersmarket dot org

All of the vendors here are pretty local, I think.

Also has an food availability chart throughout the season. Although then you would have to cook the mushrooms. :) Looks like they might have a 'chef in the market' -dont know if they serve food or is just a demostration.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

If you gotta stay within that budget, I might recommend combining lunch and dinner into a late lunch. Then you could go to Wildwood without having to worry about it being a budget-buster. And we could come up with a bunch of other suggestions, too, like Fenouil.... or Carlyle. If you get hungry later that evening, head to the nearest Burgerville, which showcases the best of Oregon's fast food.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

I think mistletoes idea is really good. For one thing, most people have a hard time eating out for several meals a day.

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

Thanks for the suggestions! I just mentioned in my Cannon Beach post, but I'll repeat here - I asked for lower-budget places b/c I think I've already found the expensive hotspots from online and guidebook reviews. I was just curious to learn about cheaper options from people in the know. I appreciate the links/names you've posted here!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

I'll cast one vote for Mother's (SW 2nd/Stark)...and another vote for Park Kitchen (NW 8th, between Flanders & Glisan)...lunch or dinner, can't go wrong.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Oregon/NW-cuisine restaurants in PDX?

I don't know when you are coming but there are often food and wine festivals, demos and tastings at Whole Foods and other markets....this weekend is the Food and Wine Festival in McMinnville ...so a person can sample lots of different NW foods for a reasonable price. Check the POVA website for events during your stay and I'd check Whole Foods and Le Sur Table for demos and tastings.