We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

My husband and I will be in Portland for a wedding, and have decided to stay for a week following the wedding to explore. But, we have never spent time in the area. Just wondering if you all have any suggestions on places to go from Portland? We're happy to take some road trips from Portland. Ideally we'd like to spend a couple days in Portland itself, and then explore from there. we love adventure - hiking, little towns, wineries, the coast, etc. Any suggestions on places to look into? Thanks in advance! (Oh -- and we're going in August).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

There has been so much posted about this lately, I would advise reading all the threads here first, you can get ideas ..

There is so much to do here, depends on budget and taste etc.

My thoughts..

Stay in Portland, take day trips.

Coast is 90 minute drive from downtown. You can spend a day there, enjoy the scenery and ride back and forth.

Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park or south to Manzanita and the state parks in that area, amazing beautiful scenery..

The Gorge and Historic Highway , see the Falls, about 30- 45 min from downtown, if the weather is fine, take a picnic and sit by the falls and have lunch, walk the trails, if you have the nerve, cross the bridge over Multnomah Falls ( I don't have the nerve lol)

Wineries etc are about 40 minutes from downtown, a nice day trip, some good places to have lunch.

Little towns..

If you have time and the weather is good, go to Sauvie Island.

Very short ride from town, very scenic.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4984-Sauvie_Is…

Spending days IN Portland..

The Japanese Gardens are wondrful, anytime of year or rain or shine. The Classical Chinese Gardens are in town, easy to see and beautiful..

The Rose Test Gardens are close and amazing.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i966-Gardens_in…

Hope this helps get you started :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Thanks, Scarlett! Much appreciated. You mention that the coast is about 90 min. outside of the city. Any specific towns or areas on the coast that we should not miss? Or, any spots along the coast where there might be some cute little inns or hotels?

Thanks again, Scarlett! Also, I seem to remember that you posted a while back about Buenos Aires. . . .we were there in Oct/Nov. 2006 and I remember reading your posts I believe prior to your trip there! Hope you loved it!! Funny to find you on the Portland board as well . . . thanks again.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Hi sadie ..

We usually drive straight to the Coast, on #26 which ends at 101..go left onto 101 and the first exit is Cannon Beach with Haystack Rock. Charming little beach town with galleries, shops and nice places to eat, choices for all sorts of budgets.

There is the SurfSand in Cannon Beach where you can get a room on the beach..

There is a town 10 miles South on 101 called Arch Cape..past that is Manzanita, we stayed at the Inn at Arch Cape www.innatarchcape.com a few months ago, they have fireplaces in all the rooms, it is less than a block walk down to the beach.

Manzanita is good for getting food and they also have hotels/motels.

Yes, I live in Portland :)

But we visited Buenos Aires in the fall.

We are moving there in a couple of months ~

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Thanks, Scarlett. Your suggestions sound wonderful. . .really looking forward to our trip to Portland!! And, congrats on the move to BA! We absolutely loved it there, and were contemplating a move there one day. . . . such a fabulous city and great people to top it off. Good luck! And, thanks again for your thoughtful suggestions.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

We have to be in Los Angeles to visit the Argentine Embassy, perhaps I will be asking you some questions soon :)

August is a fabulous time to visit Portland, I think you will have a wonderful visit :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Lest I forget to say it, ScarlettO1,best wishes on your forthcoming move to Buenos Aires.

Portland
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Sadie, if you're looking for a little town, try stopping by Multnomah Village in SW Portland. They have antique shops, taverns, specialty stores and great restaurants. I love eating at Fat City. It's like stepping back in time to a diner that serves up down-home, cookin'. The Lucky Lab has a great selection of microbrews, good pizza and huge Ceasar salads. Renner's is a small tavern that is another step back in time and a good place for a Jell-O shot. Since you'll be here is August, the neighboring burg, Hillsdale, has a great farmer's market on Saturdays.

There are so many great things to do in the summer in Portland. I hope you have a great time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

NYC and Philadelphia would likely close down Fat City. Though I hope Portland does not get on that bandwagon. Been awhile since i have been there but good fries, burgers and milk shakes.

Small towns, what do you prefer Cannon Beach is upscale, Hood River and Depoe Bay sort of upscale. Garibaldi not upscale. Silverton typical smalltown US.

Astoria really my favorite. On coast but not really a oceanside town. Lots of history, nice downtown, great maritime museum

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Scarlett, moving?? You were beginning to look like a local Curious what prompted move?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will have a week to travel in/around Portland - any ideas?

Aww phirl, thank you. I wanted to be as local as I could, I really do love it here in Portland.

My husband and I always loved the idea of living in another country and decided around the time we went to visit Buenos Aires, that it might be the right place for us. They have everything we want plus some.

So we came home in November and made the decision to do it.

We figure we will be leaving in early April.

Before you know it, you can be visiting me on the Buenos Aires forums and I will still pop in here, (one of those most wonderful things about the internet-you never really have to say goodbye to friends !)