We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best crabbing/clamming?

Which Pacific City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best crabbing/clamming?

Hi! My family will be traveling to Pacific City later this week and we were wondering where the best place(s) is to go dungeness crabbing? We haven't been to Oregon in many years, but had a great time doing this last time. Also, any recommendations for clamming beaches and where to rent supplies (shovels, etc.)? Many thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

When we and our family stayed at Cape Kiwanda, several of the kids and grandkids went out with the dory fisherman and brought back Dungeness crabs (enough for a dinner for 10 with plenty of leftovers). You need to use traps to catch the Dungeness crabs and, with no pier at Cape Kiwanda, the dory fisherman are your best bet, although the end result is expensive crabs per pound.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

Thanks! I've also heard some recommendations about Netarts (where you rent a boat and gear and catch your own). Any chance you heard of them?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

I have absolutely no knowledge about crabbing at Netarts, but Google yielded this website with told me more than I need to know about the subject.

netartsbaytoday.org/html/dungeness_crab.html

Good luck in your research on the subject and your luck crabbing. When it comes to going out in boats, I'm much more comfortable in bays than in the open ocean. The best time of year for Dungeness crabs is late December into the new year....but, they can be caught all year long, although they may not be of the weight and quality in summer.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

Netarts Bay is great for crabbing. We have been quite successful in the past in August. As it has no real fresh water inlets it is mainly all saltwater which the crabs seem to love. Slack tide towards the mouth the crabs concentrate, if the sea lions don't get them. Boat over to the tip of the peninsula. The most perfect, private beach walk awaits you there. We are "trailering" for three nights starting Thursday at Cape Look Out State Park. Look for us on the bay in the orange and blue sea kayaks! Perhaps we will see you there!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

Thanks!! We will look into it further, but it sounds promising. JesPortland-- did you ever do clamming around there? We will keep an eye out for you on your kayaks when we visit! ;)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

You can also clam at Netarts. Highly recommend a stop here.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

SFJ,

I haven't clammed there but I see many people do so, mainly at low tide. Be sure and get a tide chart wherever you are. Really helps if you are in boat and don't want to get pulled out into the ocean at very intense out going tides like I have twice in the last ten years in kayaks because I wasn't paying attention!

I really love bays, and Netarts is one of my favorites. Besides the good hikes out to the cape(lookout) a real easy beach walk is just north in Oceanside where you walk along the beach back south to the mouth of the bay at Netarts. Always for me a neat experience where the mouth of the bay meets the ocean, looking across the mouth down the peninsula. You can walk this from Netarts also.

Looking like perfect beach weather, partly sunny and most important not a lot of wind! Haven't been here for a few years and really looking forward to a fire on the beach and Pelican Brewpub that everyone here posts about. I know we will be there. http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican

Check out http://www.fws.gov/oregoncoast/nestuccabay/ if you like that and avoid, IMO, Sandlake. An atrocity where ATV's ravage the dunes. But perhaps you might like that sort of thing!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

The owner of the rental we are staying in told us to go to Sand Lake....her husband grew up there and threw his crab pot in over the bridge I guess! Sand Lake is near Pacific City toward Tiallamook.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best crabbing/clamming?

Since this is a post from last summer, I wonder if the OP might pop back in and let us know where they went crabbing. Did you enjoy your trip to our beautiful Oregon coast, SanFranJen?

Reply to: Best crabbing/clamming?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted