We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon

Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon

We rented a house that is in the sand on the beach in Pacific City, Oregon. My question is to anyone that knows the area...is it safe to stay on the beach that close with the tide and waves? It looks like a very nice house but I am freaking out about being right in the sand and not higher up. We will have kids with us too so is there stuff somewhat close for them to do? Any info you can give me about Pacific City, Oregon I would so appreciate it!!!!

3 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon

I'm sure you're talking about the vacation homes along the beach at Cape Kiwanda, which are set way back from the surf. The winter storms often reconfigure the beach and blow sand into new dunes around the homes, but you'll have no problems during the summer months. We stayed there last summer and had a choice of a house right on the beach or one just across the sandy street from that one. We took the one across the street because it fit our family gathering better. We had four kids with us: 2, 5, 9 and 12 years old.

We never let the kids run loose alone, however. Not because of the home locations, but just out of respect for the ocean. There are long stretches of the beach, especially near the big dune at the north end of the beach (where the fantastic tidepools can be explored at low tide) where the receding tide actually leaves pools of water that the kids can play in safely.

Anyway, don't worry about the surf coming up to the house.

One proviso: If you're not talking about Cape Kiwanda or the homes along the state park beaches, I'd need more info on exactly where you're talking about. Regardless, if the winter storms didn't blow the house away, nothing during the summer will.

Baker City
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon

"but I am freaking out about being right in the sand and not higher up"

It's at least 16 feet higher than low tide (see Oregon Beach Bill).

Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon

Thank you so very much for your reply to my questions! I appreciate you!!

We will be staying there the last part of April and have since talked to the rental agency and they have reassured me the house is safe and the kids will love it. I am looking forward to the trip and exploring the Oregon coast in that area.

Thanks again!

Reply to: Beach House in the Sand at Pacific City, Oregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pacific City