We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Topic
Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

HI,

We are thinking on driving from Vancouver, BC to the Oregon Coast. We don't know how far or where to go yet. We will be leaving July 12 and returning by July 16 (5 days return). We really need help building an itinerary of places to go and visit in a short time. There is so much we do not know where to start! Please help us find good sights, where to stay and where to eat (on a budget).

To give you an idea, we are interested on the following:

Mount St Helens

The Dunes

The Beach (don't know which one yet)

Beautiful Views, mountains (not too much hiking please)

Swiming

Any suggestions on where to go, what to do, stay, routes, etc. are welcomed! We need a vacation BADLY. Thanks for your help.

:)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

The drive from Vancouver, BC to Portland is 6 hours, give or take depending on how busy the border crossings are. I have waited anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to cross over during trips last year.

I would make a straight shot to Portland and stay in Portland the first night.

The following day drive out to Hood River via the scenic highway through The Gorge, stopping at the many beautiful waterfalls along the way. Many are visable from the road so you can stop, get out, snap a few photos and move on to the next one. Some are a short hike in.

Have lunch in Hood River and take a stroll through the downtown area. It is cute with many little shops and restaurants.

Head on up to Mt Hood and stop by Timberline Lodge, have a bite to eat or a drink and head back to Portland.

The next day take a trip to the beach. There is a big dune at Cape Kiwanda that I love to scramble up to enjoy the incredible view from the top. There are often hang gliders going off the east side of the dune so take a look over that side or else you will miss them. There will probably be surfers in the water and people wandering around the tide pools.

It may be difficult to get a place to stay for just one night if it is a weekend but you can often find a place on a week day at the less populated beach towns. Or stay for 2 if you want more beach time.

Back to Portland. Make sure to visit:

-The Rose Garden - if you are there between Aug. 2nd and 16th, there are free concerts each night in the amphitheater just to the north of the Gardens and the bands are great!

-Powell's Books

-A stroll along the South Waterfront marina

-Venture for a few hours to NW 21st and 23rd, streets full of bars, retaurants and boutiques.

-Wander through the Pearl District and have lunch or dinner in one of the great restaurants; my favorite is Andina.

Take in a concert at the Oregon Zoo

Leave early to head north again and stop at Mt. St. Helen's.

Stay a night in Seattle and visit Pike Place Market.

Any questions?

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

Thanks so much for your promt response to my request!!

You have really put this trip in perspective and now we will be able to concentrate in the "must sees".

TXS again,

:)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

My pleasure!

4. Re: Need ITINERARY From Vancouver to Oregon in 5 DAYS...PLS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oregon City