We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs on the beach

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dogs on the beach

We will be in the Newport area in 2 weeks and want to know if Oregon beaches allow dogs at any or all beaches. Also, if anyone knows about a hotel/motel guide that allows dogs. We want to spend a night in the Port Orford/Gold Beach/Brooking area and need accommadations that allow for our sweet dog. Thank You!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs on the beach

Hi

Dogs are allowed on most Oregon Beaches - they are required to always be leashed.

Individual beachs will post their rules at the beach access.

Of course, you know that you have to pick up after your dog and be responsible for it, but I think the beaches here are great for allowing people to not only bring their pups to the beach, on the beach but they can stay in many of the hotels..SurfSand for one.

When we drove across the US to Oregon, we used petswelcome.com to be sure of hotels that were dog friendly.

Good luck~

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs on the beach

I thought dogs were supposed to be leashed too, but I think it was Dengay who wrote they could be off leash if they respond to voice commands.

Seems that most dog owners here are a lot better trainers than I ever was, because the majority of dogs I see on the beach are not leashed. ;-) Voice command responsive or not though, that's okay with me. I enjoy watching them run and play.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs on the beach

Hi mistletoe, yes, the "rules" are that all dogs must be leashed, even going so far as to say the leash can be 6 ft long lol...but to tell the truth, my dog is voice command trained as well as silent signal trained, I still don't want him loose in some areas...you just never know..

When we stay at Cannon Beach and have a shower/dog wash area, I will let him loose and won't worry about him diving into the ocean lol.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs on the beach

Thank you all so much! Yes, we are very responsible and ALWAYS clean up after our dog. He's a good boy but getting old and I just hate to leave him behind when we go on a vacation. Thanks again!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs on the beach

Glad to help, my "boy" is still young but I still hate leaving him behind too :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs on the beach

Okay, let's clear this up once and for all.

On the Ocean Shore Recreation Area, which is defined as the vegetation line (either actual or statutory, whichever is further east) to the mean low tide line, dogs are allowed.

Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 736-21-070 (1) states: "The owner of any dog, cat, or other animal brought into or kept in the ocean shore recreation area shall be responsible for the animal's behavior and physical control while in the ocean shore recreation area."

The Attorney General's Office has ruled that phyisical control DOES NOT necessarily mean confined to a leash. In other words, you can have physical control of an animal without being in direct contact.

The exception (yes, there are exceptions) is when a beach is fronting a developed state park. In this case, the upland park rules apply to the ocean shore area in fornt of the park. That is where the reference to a 6 ft leash comes from.

Hope this helps.

Den

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogs on the beach

<< In other words, you can have physical control of an animal without being in direct contact.>>

LOL! Dennis, and what would that be?

If a pup is larger than a yorkie and one cannot hold it in their arms, how else can you physically control your animal?

Maybe a day like today, spent reminding my large pup that everyone he sees is NOT going to give him a treat, makes me think that there are few people who will manage that control without a leash..

I worry less about his damaging the flor and fauna than scaring the daylights out of an unsuspecting tourist :D

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dogs on the beach

Scarlett01,

Guess I should have clarified further on the AG ruling. Basically, they have said that if an animal is under voice command and is responsive, that constitutes "physical control". Bottom line, we and/or law enforcement will not bother you as long as your animal is not bothering anyone else.

Your pup sounds like mine. Mine automatically thinks everyone loves him as much as we do :-0

While I'm clarifying, there can be, and are certain areas of the ocean shore where dogs are not allowed at all, but these are few and normally for a limitied duration. They area also well signed.

Any other questions I can be vague about????? lol

Den

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dogs on the beach

LOL,No thank you, Den...one vague answer a day is all I can cope with :O)

Yes, Pup was given a treat by our concierge ( something I have managed to say No to all year, but I had a weak moment) I knew I should not have let him!! We have this strong dog that lunges for the concierge or anyone else at that desk now lol and they are all happy he is friendly but wait til he does it to some little old lady!!

We have to go back to Obediance classes and have a refresher class in the word No ( I need to take that class too lol)

In Cannon Beach, Pup is very well liked and the only problem we see is that he wants to chase seagulls. I imagine letting him off-leash and watching him go dashing into the ocean..so we keep that leash on him regardless of the rules :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dogs on the beach

yes, I know I spelled obedience wrong there :)

* it was the dogs fault*