We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming and hiking near Newport

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mclean, va
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming and hiking near Newport

Hi. We will be in Newport in July and are looking for some good hikes and swimming holes. Please advise!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

Best hikes on beach. Can't swim in ocean

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

The ocean is generally too cold for "real" swimming, although people do splash around in the shallows. I don't know if people swim in Olalla Lake or not.

Hiking - you can hike some at Yaquina Head, Mike Miller park just south of town, Drift Creek falls area up by Lincoln City, Cape Perpetua near Yachats, and just east of Waldport is Drift Creek Wilderness that has a number of trails (not the same place as Drift Creek by Lincoln City).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

Yeah, you can swin=m in the ocean but it would not be comfortable. The ocean at this part of the coast stays very cold year around.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

That would be "swim" not "swin=m". Hee hee!

mclean, va
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

Thanks! Any river swimming? What about the bay?

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

Try Moonshine Lincoln County Parks towards Logsden from Siletz great little park with swimming hole. Blackberry campground approx mp.18 hwy 34 out of Waldport also pulloff at mp 16 hwy 34 used to be called Hootnany by locals sand beach and rapids to run. All places this far inland will be 10 to 20 degrees warmer than beach. Oceans and bays are very cold year round and tides and currents are dangerous.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

There are swimming places in the Alsea River (Waldport) about 10+ miles inland. I think there also may be some swimming spots inland on the Yaquina River and those would be on the east side of Toledo, near Elk City. There are two county parks on the river.

People also swim in the Siletz River, about 25 minutes inland. Moonshine Park is quite popular... www.co.lincoln.or.us/lcparks/moonshine.html

You may be getting the idea that for the most part, outside swimming right at the beach is too cold. Once you go inland a few miles, the air temp is much, much warmer - it may be upper 80's to even low 90's in Siletz :-)

I don't think I've ever seen anybody swimming in Yaquina Bay. Too cold!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

LOL, oregoncoasty types faster than I do ;-)

mclean, va
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

Thanks!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming and hiking near Newport

You could drive up to Lincoln City and swim in Devils Lake. There are state and county parks at a couple places around the lake. That would be safer than swimming in a river. Just an idea.