We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible Tide Pools

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Accessible Tide Pools

I know there is a man-made tidepool that is wheel chair accessible but can't find any info on it anywhere now that I need it!

My parents are coming out in September and we're going to spend a couple of nights in Newport.

What I have planned is whale watching & boat tour in Depoe Bay, Aquarium in Newport, the accessible tidepool, Cape Perpetua.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

I haven't seen the tide tables for Sept. msdj, but if all things fall together the tidepools at Haystack Rock would be a terrific opportunity for someone who can walk a half mile...you could probably take a wheelchair out to the base of Haystack (many recumbent bikes were out there last weekend) and the tidepools were very accessible at low tide..we did see an elderly woman with a walker when we were there. The location may be too far north for you,but if you don't think that Yaquina has what you're looking for, this might be a possibility...

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

Half the problem with his knees/legs is that he spent a lifetime working construction that required a lot of stair climbing and kneeling.

The other half is lightening related and fairly recent!

I've checked and we *might* be in the Cannon Beach area in time for low-tide on the day we go home from Newport. Everytime we go out to Cannon Beach with my parents, it's high tide.

I don't think a small drop off (2 - 3 feet) would be a problem for my dad.

What would be a problem is:

* A drop like we had to do at the tide pools off the Captain Cook Trail at Cape Perpetua. We had to walk on some uneven rock surfaces that had fresh-water pools with tadpoles in them and then had to climb off those to get down to the tide pools. It was hard enough for me to do.

* The cobble beach Phirl said was at the good tide pools at Yaquina Head would be too hard for dad (and maybe mom) to do.

* Stairs. He can do 1 flight of stairs like you would find in a house but more than that causes a problem. Also stairs with a tread that is too narrow or uneven.

*Hills are a hit-or-miss thing with him. Easier than stairs but it depends on how much walking he has done prior to that.

When I talked to them a couple of days ago, he said he's been walking on their treadmill so he may be able to walk farther at a time now but I don't want to push it since he wouldn't be used to walking on sand.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

Seal Rock: true, from parking lot, a short uphill for great views, but longish downhill to beach.

How about this site, at low tide might be good and I believe there are sands between rocks enabling access. Just south of Yachats, after crossing the bridge, turn right onto narrow road that quickly leads to ocean side, including wide portion for parking. The street is perhaps 10' above beach. Tide pools there. Here is the map -

maps.google.com/maps…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

Fairly short walk on good ground at Seal Rock to the tough place. If he does not think he can do. do something else.

Seal Rock SP has a naturalist on given days. They are well worth it. I got schedule at vis center in Waldport when we were there. for that week. start times were 9AM. call them.

we have been 3 or 4 times and tailor stuff for the group they have, our grandkids loved it.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

I just read an article in a magazine dedicated to accessibility and the aurthor noted that the gated tidepool area at Yaquina was in her opinion, very good. I gather it is only accessible to those who qualify and a ranger/staffer must unlock them for you. Apparently you drive down to the designated area where they have raised tidepools....

Now I have no idea how reliable this woman is, and honestly I didn't note her magazine title but I googled 'accessible tidepools in oregon' and got her.

I think phirl said that the pools have filled with sand, but it might be worth a call to the interp. center at Yaquina Head to ask....perhaps there has been some recent maintenance for that.....

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

It has been 2 or 3 years since we drove down to the parking lot for the quarry pools. Pools looked pretty full of sand to me, though there was an area not covered with snd.

Only 2 or 3 cars there and no one down at the pool area. At that time you could see pool area from parking lot and i assume that is still true. but there is a gate at the lot and beyond that gate was a paved access down to lower area.

Perhaps they did do some maintencnace, but last time I asked they said unlikely they would cause it would just fill again with sand.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

Right, that is what I suggested earlier ;-) You must have a Handicapped placard for the car.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

Still I would not bother to go there if they have not fixed the pools, you can get beyond gates but why?? been close to 10 years since it was worth going down

BEnd Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

I was just looking for the same thing here is a phone number and some info

Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area

At the north end of Newport, turn west at the traffic signal on Lighthouse Drive. This BLM-managed property has two tidepooling areas. Cobble Beach, down the stairs near the lighthouse parking lot, offers rich communities of intertidal life; park rangers are often on hand to identify species and assist visitors. Closer to the entrance, Quarry Cove features man-made tide pools that are less extensive, but handicapped accessible. Paved paths, ample parking and an interpretive center. $5 per car. FMI: 541-574-3100.

20. Re: Accessible Tide Pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 23, 2010