We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family restaurant and Ripley's

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Family restaurant and Ripley's

We're going to be in Newport tomorrow evening. We're a party of 8 (four adults, four kids) looking for a decent, but reasonably priced restaurant for dinner. Any recommendations?

Also, is Ripley's worth the 30 or so bucks it will cost the family to get in?

Thanks.

P.S.: First time on the Oregon Coast. Staying in Yachats and absolutely loving this beautiful place!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

In my opinion Ripley's is not worth the cost of admittance.

Restaurants - what do you consider "reasonably" priced? Any type of food?

We like Nana's Irish Pub a lot. It's in Nye Beach and has Irish specialties plus very good sandwiches and outstanding fish-n-chips. Prices run about $11-$14 for dinners, less for sandwiches and hamburgers.

Izzy's is also good and might be perfect with four kids. They are north of town a bit, up on the hill on the way to Yaquina Head lighthouse. Salad bar and hot food buffet, 6 kinds of pizza and then they cook chicken/steak/salmon to order; and a selection of desserts. Price about $10 per person for all you can eat. Great ocean view.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

If you like side-show attractions you may like Ripleys but I wouldn't spend 30bucks on it because I dont really like those sorts of things. If you like low cost activities, try the Oregon State University Hatfield Marine Science Center- its accepts donations as payment and has touch tanks that the kids might like. Some of the displays are pretty cerebral, but interesting...

I always like Mo's on the waterfront or the Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach. Also if you like Chinese food, try Kum-Yons. I think these would be pretty family friendly places. There are some nicer places, but not sure how old the kids are... There are quite a few good restaurants in Nye Beach, but they might be a bit more expensive.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

I am with the rest, Ripley's isn't worth it. I would definitely skip it. Go with the aquarium or Marine Science Center instead.

I was also going to suggest Izzy's. Just because the price is right, and it probably has one of the best views in Newport.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

Ok, I will be the voice of dissent here, lol. Izzy's...I cannot drive fast enough past those places. Sorry:)

While Mo's isn't anything fancy by any means, it is a great place to go with little ones, IMO.

Another good place with kids is Rogue Ale House. Great for all ages:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

I thought about the Rogue Ale pubs (either one), but not sure they qualify as "reasonable" at dinner time? Not sure Nana's does either, for that matter ...

Just out of curiosity, Mtngrl, have you tried Izzy's since they started their "fresh grill"? The salad bar, etc are the same, but the meats hot off the grill (you wait and watch the person cook them) are really quite good, as are the fire grilled veggies :-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

half-brit--We think Rogue is very reasonable, even at dinner. I was last at an Izzy's about a year ago for a team party. I just think overall, it isn't a place that I enjoy.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

I lurve Nana's Irish Pub. Can't wait until October when we get back there. We used to go to Izzy's a lot, but that was only to ease my wife's transition from the Mid-West. Apparently they like their gravy over in Michigan.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

I would not head to Izzy's unless you really don't care about the food quality.

I have been there since they changed the menu with their fresh grill. Perhaps I went to the wrong one, because the one we went to in Beaverton was horribly over-cooked!

If you end up at Mo's in Newport on the waterfront. There are 2 Mo's right across from each other. The one on the water side does not offer Fish N Chips. I thought I would mention that because if you are travelling with small kids, you might want to cross the street to go to the other Mo's. Apparently they don't have a fryer at the waterfront Location in old Newport.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

Gravy? Izzy's? I don't get it?

Anyway, maybe the Newport Izzy's is better? Didn't say it was gourmet, LOL, but with four kids . . .

But the OP never responded [sigh, I hate that], and since dinner was for July 3rd, hope they found somewhere that met their requirements :-)

10. Re: Family restaurant and Ripley's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2010