We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whaler is 'budget?'

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
The Whaler is 'budget?'

After reading reviews here I decided to book a night at The Whaler. However, some of the reviews posted were rather misleading. I don't know if I'm just cheap, but $155 a night does not qualify as 'budget' in my book. I've seen others post that they recently paid $79. Although TripAdvisor shows an avg. rate of $75, the Whaler's website states that rates are $109-$139 for summer. There seems to be a disconnect between Trip Advisor and the hotel.

Joanna

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

The price that TA lists on the reviews page for any hotel is an *average* price. This includes the lower prices most places offer in winter, and may include certain special package prices.

This price is only a rough guide, IMO, as it also may be outdated. For example, if the first review was in 2005, that price may still be on the page.

The Whaler's rates in winter are about $80/night, and obviously more in the summer. This is a good price for an "almost oceanfront" hotel in a very popular beach resort town.

You might check the prices at the Elizabeth Inn, Shiloh, BW Hallmark. Or for budget options, some with ocean view, just let me know and I'll post the list of Newport motels.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

Call the Wahler, that is how e have gotten rooms there, though not yet in high summer season. we have been a few times and cannot remember dates for sure

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

Half-brit--Last month when we stayed at Elizabeth Street the room rate for $199 (that was for 4 people).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

I notice once in a while where someone asks for suggestions on a Budget or Not Expensive hotel and there will be a poster who will name every hotel in that town, especially the expensive ones.

So calling or looking at the hotel websites yourself always is a good idea.

I don't know if POVA works for the rest of the state but here it is in case..

www.pova.com

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

We got our $79 rate because we stayed in a single bed room on June 25 and they have special midweek rates that run March - June.

You can always call (if you haven't already) and see if they have any special rates for the night(s) you want to stay.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

It's not the posters on this forum, but rather those who have written full reviews on the 'hotels' page for The Whaler who describe it as 'budget,' 'cheap,' and 'no-frills' which is perfectly reasonable for $79 a night. I understand this hotel is renovating some of the rooms which may explain the upgraded rates, but that means my expectations are going to be higher, too. I'll post a review when we return. Thanks for all your advice.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

Posters on these forums review things too though... it is very helpful that you posted this, Thanks.

Good luck and do post a review..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

I drove by there a copule of weeks ago and they are indeed adding balconies to about half the rooms. With the tremendous rain and wind in the winter, we have a very short "building season" here on the coast, lol!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

Dang, I hope they do not raise the rates.

We enjoy staying there. They have a nice breakfast and nice room for it. One of those places where it seems easy to visit with others there. I think the people you usaully see there are the owners and personable people.

The sleep rooms are fine, not fancy but well kept.

For us one advantage is they are dog friendly, so we can take our pooch.

If you can get top floor and firthest north you cn. Those are best ocean views. Many first floor rooms do not have oceab view

I know Shilo has all oceanfront rooms, think Elizabeth Inn is the same

Baker City
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Whaler is 'budget?'

Greetings from room 362 at the Whaler!! It has one of the new balconies. I will eat breakfast on it tomorrow while listening to the waves crashing on the beach.

The rate was $107.40 per day taxes included.

I checked in about three hours ago, but just now logged on to the Internet using the free connection.

I have stayed here several times before. As others have said, the rooms aren't fancy, but more than adequate. It's as good as being located on the beach. To get to the beach you cross a street and take a path down. I did this and walked over to Old Nye Beach and had dinner.