We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

Hi All,

My partner and I will be heading down the Oregon Coast at the end of June. We are spending 3 nights in Oregon, so our plan thus far is to spend one night each in Cannon Beach, Newport, and Bandon. We are staying at the Hidden Villa Motel in Cannon Beach and then probably camping the other 2 nights. During the days I'm hoping to squeeze in lots of hiking and outdoor sightseeing.

Are these the best places to stay to get a good feel for the Oregon Coast? We have the hotel res in Cannon Beach but we can make changes. I'm still up in the air about Bandon on the last night. Will the itinerary give us enough time to squeeze everything in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

Are you planning on camping in the State Parks? They are extremely busy in the summer, and you *may* already be too late :-(

Cannon Beach is upscale, very busy and congested in the summer. It does have lots of shops. And tourists. The beach is very nice, but so are most of the Oregon coast beaches, lol. I would not consider Cannon Beach to be representative of the best of the northern coast - I'd probably pick Manzanita or Arch Cape as they are far less busy. My opinion only, hehe.

If you are looking for mainly smaller towns with less commercialization (just a guess from your posting), you might consider Pacific City or Yachats rather than Newport. But am not sure how this would work with your camping . . . we have a SP expert here who can help you with more info. (Started to abbreviate that OSP, Den lol!)

Bandon is a nice town.

With only three nights, you won't have too much time for hiking, since you'll also have to drive!

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

Hope it's OK to add on to your post, but I'm also heading out that way in June and can't decide where to stay for one night in between. Heading from McMinnville (2 nights...wine) to Klamath, and want to stay somewhere with great views. Don't need much action - glass of wine and the view would be good. Yachats...Florence, Coos Bay?

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

I agree with half-Brit, we really enjoy Cannon Beach but it is not representative of small town beach Oregon. Just south of Manzanita is Nehalem Bay State Park. It is not as busy and they do have tent camping, also RV and trailer camping. If you could get a reservation at Oswald West State Park it is right on the beach, the hiking trails have good ocean views. Check the Oregon State Parks website.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

I think that Oswald West is first come, first served for camping. During the week, you might be able to get a spot, but I wouldn't count on it for the weekend.

5. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 28, 2009