We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

Canadian Prairies
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

This may not be a fair question but thought I'd get your advice anyway!

We are travelling along the coast of Oregon and California during July and August 2008. Our planned itinerary has us making several stops in both states including Newport, Oregon and Monterey, California. There are five of us: 2 adults, 2 teenagers (15), and one child (9).

I have read several threads about the aquariums in Newport and Monterey. Right now I am leaning towards visiting both aquariums but, being mindful of budget, thought I should consult those who have been there for their opinions.

(The Monterey Bay Aquarium will cost our family approx. $112.00 for admission. The Oregon Coast Aquarium will cost our family approx. $61.00 for admission.)

So my questions....do any of you prefer the experience at one aquarium over the other? Would we miss anything by skipping one or the other?

I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

Not having visited the Monterey aquarium, I can't make a direct comparison. I do know that Monterey is much larger, with many more interactive touching exhibits.

The outstanding feature of Newport is the section where you walk "through" a huge tank, and the creatures are swimming all around you, over the top, and under your feet. I don't know if Monterey has the same attraction?

There are also a lot of outside exhibits, and a nice nature trail that winds all around.

Another option might be to skip the Newport aquarium and visit the Marine Science Center:

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/

Click on exhibits to get an idea of what's there. It is free, although they always appreciate donations! It's just around the corner from the aquarium.

Level Contributor
35,457 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

We have been to both several times, if you only visit one place, I would definitley choose the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it is world-class and very much worth the admission price. You can purchase tickets online if you wish, be aware that it will be crowded during the busy summer months, you may want to plan accordingly for that.

Newport, Oregon is a gorgeous area to spend time in, our kids always enjoyed the Wax Works Museum there and there is also a working waterfront area that is pretty. Enjoy your travels along the coast! :)

GB
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

Hello . I totally agree that Monterey Bay Aquarium is more expansive and showy but the Newport Oregon Aquarium has wonderful exhibits and some hands on activities (it was the legendary home of Keiko the whale) -special exhibits change periodically . I suggest that if you want to see some wonderful wave action and tide pooling stop at an area called Yachats (Yaw-hots) - about 30 minutes south of Newport - park in the Adobe Hotel parking lot (huge) off Hwy 101 and walk along the public ocean path (called Trail 804) - beautiful rock formations with crashing waves leading to a sandy beach . Be sure to eat clam chowder at Mo's on the bayfront in Newport. Have a wonderful adventure.

Canadian Prairies
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

Thanks for the replies. Based on responses and our interests we will likely opt for visiting both aquariums.

I don't think this will be our last visit to Oregon......I'm kind of addicted even from this far away. Big bookstores, rose gardens, ocean views, ocean beaches, ocean waves, tidepools, lighthouses, dunes, dune buggies, sand boarding, chowder, seafood bbqs, glass blowing, aquariums and friendly people......I don't think we will even scratch the surface of what Oregon has to offer!

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
35,457 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

We saw Keiko at the Oregon Coast Aquarium before he left, really cool! I'm glad you have decided to visit both places, they each have much to offer. Agree with the previous poster about the clam chowder at Mo's, very yummy! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

If you cover everything on that list, cottonwoodgal, you'll have scratched more of the surface than some who've been regularly visiting for over 20 years!! ;-)

Must be a slow day on the Fresno forums, huh syrahgirl? ;-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

Syrahgirl, have you visited the Newport Aquarium since Keiko left? That's been at least five years I think, maybe more. They remade his old tank into "Passages of the Deep".

8. Re: Oregon Coast Aquarium and Monterey Bay Aquarium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 20, 2009