We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Manteca, California
7 posts
Save Topic
Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Going on a road trip on 9/8 from Burney Falls, CA to Newport, OR. We have reservations in Newport for 9/10 - 9/13 and would like to visit some waterfalls along the way. Ideally we'd like to stay close to I-5. Can anyone offer up any suggestions?

We'd also like to visit some waterfalls while staying in Newport. Would love to hear about everyone's recommendations.

Thank you! Have a beautiful day!

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
420 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

How far off I-5 are you willing to drive to get to falls?

Manteca, California
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Good question. If there's a great place to visit we'll definitely consider veering off a ways from I-5. We will be staying in Newport for a couple of days so we're looked by for awesome waterfalls near there too.

Thank you posing your question! 😊

Shasta, California
Level Contributor
254 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Right at the beginning of your drive, only 45 miles from Burney Falls on Highway 89 going north are the McCloud River Waterfalls. Turn at the sign for Fowlers Creek/ Middle Falls. Short drive to the parking lot and you're right at the start of the trail and a great swimming hole, then follow the easy trail to the middle and upper falls, about a 3-mile round trip.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

You can look at www.traveloregon.com and search for waterfalls in regions you will visit. By their very nature, waterfalls come from snow melt, thus most are in the mountains, not in the valley (along I-5).

McCloud, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Make sure to also stop at the three McCloud Falls and the McCloud Mercantile stores and hotel. The headwaters of the Sacramento River in Mt Shasta city park is intersting. When going to Newport We usually drive I-5 to Sutherland then over to reedsport. The drive from Florence Oregon to Yachats is one of the most scenic drives. Light house, hiking, Sea lion caves, cute towns. Have fun

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
420 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

I did a Google maps search for waterfalls. You could do that along your route and research each fall you are interested in to see if it's worth the drive. If it is, you could ask if these particular ones are worth seeing at the end of a hot, dry summer.

Also, monitor for fires. Some roads and state parks are closed. The Chetco Bar Fire is burning near Brookings

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

How much hiking are you willing and able to do to get to falls?Between Eugene and Florence are Sweet Creek Falls and Kentucky Falls. Sweet Creek Falls at Mapleton is easy hiking. Kentucky Falls, where three waterfalls descend, involves a bit more driving and hiking. Alsea Falls near Corvallis might be another to consider

Not sure how to define "awesome" waterfalls. Most of those will be in the Cascades, Columbia Gorge or Silver Falls SP east of Salem.

Manteca, California
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Thank you, Deborah!

Manteca, California
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Thank you for your reply! I found some websites for waterfalls in Oregon. And yes, most of them are off I-5.

Manteca, California
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Burney Falls to Newport, OR

Thank you! We are planning on stopping in Florence and driving up the coast. Glad to hear you enjoy that drive.

Get answers to your questions about Newport