We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Painted Hills

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Painted Hills

Has anyone stayed at the Oregon Hotel in Mitchell lately? It seems to be the only close place to stay if you want to go into the Painted Hills. Thanks, Julie

Mentioned in this post
Oregon Hotel
Oregon Hotel
86 Reviews
Mitchell, OR
Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
410 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Painted Hills

We stayed almost 4 years ago and hope it is much better now than when we stayed. From what we experienced, we wouldn't go back even if it was free.

At that time, there was another motel across the highway called the Sky Hook Motel. It was booked or we would have moved into it. Each room had its own bathroom and the rooms were air-conditioned.

The Painted Hills are beautiful and the other units of the fossil beds were great as well.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Hook Motel
Sky Hook Motel
29 Reviews
Mitchell, OR
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Painted Hills

Last fall we stayed at the BW in John Day, toured 2 of the 3 Painted Hills units, took 3 one mile or so hikes in those 2 units and spent about an hour and a half at the wonderful interpretive center, very interesting information, really could have stayed all day at the 2 units but we end the day with dinner in Bend and stayed all night at the McMenimams(sp). The BW in JohnDay was a typical AAA 3 star BW, very comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Painted Hills

I would not stay in Mitchell, Prineville or John Day maybe both would be better.

Seattle??, do you have a bigger trip planned?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Painted Hills

Echo here for the Prineville or John Day sentiments.

Unfortunetly/fortunetly Painted Hills along ways from decent lodging options as far as I know.

If you do stay in the John Day BW- its been my experience that it useually fills up by 5-6pm no matter if it is a weekend/weekday(because decent lodging options are few and far between in this area). So if you are considering this option you might want to make reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Echo
Echo
Oregon
Renton Wa.
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Painted Hills

This is a bit late for an answer, but here is my experience with the John Day area. The Bridge Creek Flora Inn in Fossil is very nice, we stayed there in April and enjoyed the place, Drove to the Painted Hills the next day, and made a quick check of Mitchell to see if there was a gas station. No. Old sets of pumps with cobwebs, "they closed 4 years ago- I think" was a porch-sitter's reply to our inquiry. So, be sure to top off your tank before you head out of Fossil. Our breakfast was so huge that we skipped lunch. Coming from Seattle you can go over Snoqualmie Pass via I-90, take Hwy 97 thru Goldendale and down by Maryhill, crossing the Columbia River at Biggs Junction and heading over to Condon and Fossil. Or you can cross at The Dalles and head out from there. If you are into museums, don't miss Maryhill Museum. A real class place. Rodin sculpture. Loie Fuller. Queen Marie. Alma Spreckels. Peacocks.

Mentioned in this post
Fossil
Fossil
Oregon
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Condon
Condon
Oregon
6. Re: Painted Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mitchell