We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

T Or C
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi, I'm a 59 year old female who will be in the Portland area for about 8 days mid August, flying in from Southern NM and will be staying at the Milwaulkie Inn on Mcloughlin Blvd. I'm hoping to just rely on bus/train to get to downtown Oregon and where ever else I visit. It looks like a nice little community by the river, yet easily accessible to Portland. I do a lot of walking, so do plan to walk by the river. It looks like a Safeway is close by. How far is downtown Milwaulkie from where I'm staying? Where else should I visit near in the Milwaulkie area? I'm doing the obvious tourist things in Portland, museums, etc. I sort of assuming this is a walkable area around where I'm staying, although it looks like Mcloughlin is a busy boulevard. I like thrift stores, bookstores. Good but not fancy restaurants? Any information about Milwaukie would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
3 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi and welcome to the forums. I don't know why your post has not yet received an answer. We visit Oregon City fairly often but usually don't go to Milwaukie. McGloughlin Blvd is a very busy road, yes.

The MAX train is efficient and inexpensive way to get to downtown Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon City
Oregon City
Clackamas County, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi There- I grew up in Milwaukie and I know exactly where the Milwaukie inn is- unfortunetly it is not in a very walkable area along McLoughlin, but does have good transit nearby. You can take the tri-met bus #33 or express #99(only runs during rush hour) into Portland. Downtown Milwaukie itself is pretty cute and often overlooked by tourists. It does have a few nice shops and restaurants(definetly good but not fancy). The candy/chocolate store(Enchante) is about 5stars above the other shops. It wont take more than a few hours to visit them all. There is a nice Sunday Farmers Market. There is a nice path along the river to the south from the riverfront, then goes through a small neighborhood and then goes to Elk Rock Island- which is accessable during the summer low water.

If you like historic things and thrift shops, I might recommend taking the #33bus south to Oregon City, there are a few antique shops there and is also a nice river town to explore. The Sellwood neighborhood, just north of Milwaukie has great thrift/antique stores- this is accessable by bus(I think the 17- check tri-met.org just to be sure). You can catch this bus at the Milwaukie bus transfer station.

Edited: 12:37 am, August 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Oregon City
Oregon City
Clackamas County, OR
T Or C
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Thanks - this has been very helpful.

Reply to: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted