We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WIne Country

Which McMinnville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
WIne Country

Looking to spend 3-4 days exploring wine country. We LOVE pinot. Is McMinnville the best place to use as a "home base" in order to be centrally located? Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Going to be spending 2 weeks in OR -- can't wait!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WIne Country

Hi Calgons-

Friendly suggestion you should type out your whole itenerary, needs and wants for your trip in one question and we can answer on one thread to make best use of your time and others.

I dont know much about the 'wine country' but I think that 3-4 days is too much time for the Wilamette Valley area- I'd say 1-2 days max unless your really, really like wine. When are you coming? There are lots of other berry and fruit loops around if you want to really do 3-4 days in the valley.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WIne Country

If you find accommodations that suit you, I think McMinnville would be a good base for a wine country visit. I bring up accommodations because I don't know that McMinnville has many options besides motels, traditional-styled B&Bs, and the uniquely Oregon, Hotel Oregon. There are upscale B&Bs like Youngberg Hill and Black Walnut not far away, but a stay at either of those would require that you drive to dinner, shopping, etc.

To Chinookgrrl's point, 3-4 days is more than most visitors allow, but you could easily fill that many days and more with tasting. The issue is what to do with mornings and evenings. Which is why many wine country visitors choose to stay in Portland instead.

Let us know if you'd like more specific recommendations: wineries, tour routes, restaurants, whatever.

Edited: 1:36 pm, July 05, 2011
M H
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
150 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WIne Country

I just picked up a great book titled Oregon Wine Country- A Great Destination by Sherry Moore and Jeff Welsch and it details just about every Oregon winery that exists. Along with the wineries, it lists recommended lodging and restaurants in each wine region. For each winery, information about tasting room days, times, and cost (if any) are given, as well as notes about tour availability. My husband and I are planning an Oregon wine vacation in 2012 or 2013 and we're using the book to help us plan. The book also includes wine tour companies, if you'd rather not go it alone.

Cheers-

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WIne Country

I am a wine enthusiast, and think three days is fine, if you mix in some other activities. The heart of wine county is maybe an hour from downtown Portland, where the greatest concentration of hotels and dining options is found.

Please seek out the smaller, less-known wineries. If you can buy the wine at home, skip it (unless you love the wine). If you stay near a Trader Joe's, stop there in the morning and put together a picnic of great cheeses, bread, sliced meats and fruit; most wineries have facilities for and welcome picnickers. My favorites are Johan Vineyards (Rickreall), Willakenzie (near Yamhill) and Four Graces (north end of Dundee). Most now charge tasting fees, which can usually be applied to purchases. Willamette Valley's winery association has a good website with a map (http://willamettewines.com/winery-map/) and details on each winery.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WIne Country

What is your budget for lodging? The Allison Inn & Spa in Newberg is very nice! There is also a great restaurant there, Jory where we enjoyed dinner during our stay. :)

McMinnville, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: WIne Country

You could easily spend 3-4 days wine tasting around this area. Many of the AVAs have their own websites such as http://www.dundeehills.org/ or http://yamhillcarlton.org/ and there are the Oregon Wine sites as mentioned above that cover larger areas. The chamber of commerce websites in the area such as http://www.chehalemvalley.org/web/ and http://www.mcminnville.org/ are a great place to get access to lodging, dining, wine tasting and area attraction information.

There are so many places to visit here if you want to do other sight seeing while here as well. In McMinnville the downtown 3rd St area is a great place to eat, taste wine and shop. McMinnville is home to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum with IMAX movie shows (including the Spruce Goose). They do alot of special events during the summer including concerts, starry night evenings and they have just opened the Wings and Waves indoor water park. There are free concerts at Linfield college during the summer. You'll find many lovely parks as well. Newberg also has many shops and wine tasting offerings downtown. Champoeg Park is a nice place to visit if you want some local history, to play frisbee golf or just picnic. There are also weekly free concerts, evening wine tastings as well. Most of the towns have fairs with wine tasting, art shows, music, and food booths. Carlton is a wine tasting town as well.

Just check the websites for information for the weekend you are coming. Enjoy!

7. Re: WIne Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about McMinnville