We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk

We will be driving the coast in late July and early August. Our original plan was to go as far as the redwoods but we will now be returning back up to Portland (where we will fly home) via 126, through McKenzie Bridge area and taking Hwy 126/22 up to Silver Falls and Portland. 1) Are there places along this route or along the coast where we would be able to see Roosevelt Elk? We are disappointed not to be seeing the redwoods - are there any trails where we could walk and see old growth along this way? and 3) how is Hwy 126/22 for traveling. My guide tells me it is quite scenic but is it difficult to drive? Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk

eugenecascadescoast.org/listings/index.cfm…

The Delta Old-Growth Grove nature trail is right along your route (as I understand it) and is easily accessible. There are many old growth sections in the national forests of Oregon, but they usually require a bit of hiking.

I am, however, having some difficulty in understanding your itinerary. Where will you be coming from? You say you're returning to Portland, but where from? If you'll be going down the coast as far as Reedsport, you can turn east on #38 and almost immediately come upon the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area. The only time I haven't seen the elk there was one summer when I wanted my visiting family from California to see them (Murphy's Law, right?). You could then continue on #38 to the I-5 and head north to the #126.

From that point, are you taking the 126/22 route to Silver Falls State Park just for the scenery? If you do the 10-waterfall trail hike at Silver Falls you'll see plenty of waterfalls and gorgeous forest scenery. However, 126 (McKenzie Hwy) goes along the beautiful McKenzie Hwy. Stop at the ranger station in McKenzie Bridge (if it's open) for information and interesting displays (and modern restrooms). You can also cross the road there and hike a little on the McKenzie River Trail. Further up the road stop at Sahalie Falls. It's just a few steps from the parking area and is always a powerhouse attraction. A couple miles farther up, turn off to the right at Clear Lake Resort. Clear Lake is the source of the McKenzie River and is a pristine and serene gem. If you have the time and interest, you can hike the 5.5 mile loop around the lake. Pick up a brochure at the ranger station and you can follow the historical and nature notes as you circle the lake. It's good to wear hiking boots or at least sturdy shoes for the hike, which does cross some rocky lava beds. At a beautiful turquoise pool you can pause for a snack or lunch and see the spring water seeping into the pool, which is where the lake originates. The lake maintains a year-round temp of about 34 degrees, so don't plan on swimming there.

Hope this has been helpful. Oh, and to answer your other question, these are major roads and easy driving so long as you pay attention to speed limits and don't get in too much of a hurry.

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk

oregonpoppa - thank you so much! I have written in so often during these last months that I didn't want to bore you all again with the details of our trip. We will be flying into Spokane (with necessary plans in that area) and staying over night there. Then, spending a day and a half in the Columbia River Gorge area before beginning our travels down the coast - with stays in Manzanita and Yachats. We were originally going to drive down to the Redwoods but I do not want the long drive from Crescent City to Portland before flying home the next day. Your information about the old growth is just what I'd hoped for and I will look into your suggestion about the Elk Viewing area. Thank you again.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk

The Olallie Lake scenic area off of Hwy. 22 has a beautiful old growth forest where you can hike.

byways.org/explore/byways/13832/places/15364

Reply to: Old Growth and Roosevelt Elk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McKenzie Bridge