We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

I've only had this happen once before, and that was during checkout where I could politely say "I don't do reviews if the hotel asks me to. I do reviews to help other travelers."

The hotel I stayed at in Lincoln City recently, emailed me requesting I post reviews on TA and one other site. They specifically said "if you liked staying here, please post a review on TA and...." I forget the other site.. Not only did this come to my email the next day, but because I stayed two days, I got it while I was still there, and I got two emails from them. So they must send it out for every day of your stay.

How do others feel about hotels/restaurants, etc., soliciting for reviews? I emailed TA to ask if this is even okay, is it against their Terms of Use, but have not received a reply.

So far I haven't posted the review, though I would have and it would have been fairly positive, with some pros and cons, and with pictures. It just bothers me that hotels feel it is okay to solicit reviews.

Or is it even that big of a deal to anyone else?

Edited: 9:43 am, June 12, 2011
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

I know huh! funny how the pics got posted after I wrote in the forums that they weren't being posted. The ones for the really negative hotel review showing the construction mess, etc. were also posted.

It's probably just that it takes longer than it used to, to get the photos published. I'll be more patient and then if they don't post, I'll try to resubmit. I'm really glad the ones of the view are showing up now. :)

Edited: 11:38 am, June 21, 2011
PA,USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

I can see why this request might seem strange, however, if you're in that business and have really tried to run an excellent place to stay, it would be important to get the word out from a satisfied customer - your best advertisement.

People tend forget to mention their appreciation of something good, but let everybody know when the opposite is true. I know that I sometimes forget to register my views on Trip Advisor, which is thoughtless of me considering how much I use the reviews of others to make my decisions.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

If I had a hotel or rental I would solicit an idea of how the visit went and the pluses and minuses. I would do that in order to make the next visit as nice or better.

But to ask you to rate it on a travel site I have never heard of (especially after I know they have a new name this year) I wonder why.. It made me uncomfortable. If they wanted an honest review for their web-site, then I would be ok with it.

I like the places that respond to critical and good ones by admitting a problem and fixing it, or thanking the reviewer. It takes time to respond and I think it's a signal they want to improve.

min

Shasta, California
Level Contributor
251 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

Regarding submitting reviews, I sometimes do but unless it’s spectacular I don’t, and then I don’t want to sound TOO over-the-top! Two I wish I’d done were simply the worst experiences of my travel life. One was a B&B in Annapolis Royal that had such glowing reviews: when I came back & re-read them I thought to myself “how could my experience have been that bad when everyone else loved it?” I figured out it was the innkeepers friends that were reviewing: they were all 1 review people. The other was a restaurant in Toronto that I didn’t check before I went & almost every reviewer had the same negative things to report that I did. And yet there was a line out the door, sort of a “don’t like it? Step aside, there’s more waiting to get in…” I figured what’s the point in writing? And now it’s too late but I STILL think about those places! I agree that the reviews -good and bad - really do help travelers. And I like to see the owner’s responses too– shows me they’re paying attention.

25. Re: Lincoln city hotel requesting TA review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City