We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October To Dos Oregon Coast

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
October To Dos Oregon Coast

Hi Savvy Folk,

I've rented a little cottage in Neskowin (yes, I realize it's really small) for the week of Oct. 19-26. I'm driving down from Seattle.

What are my prospects for storm watching? When do the whales come through? The best chowder on the coast? More interested in homey and funky. Did I hear there's a go cart track somehwere?

All inspirations welcomed.

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

Hey, food; What does "DOS" mean? Thanks. Chuck...

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

Chuck,

Pretty sure "Dos" is supposed to be do's.

ff44,

Neskowin is situated on a beautiful stretch of coast with about as close to a private beach as you'll get in Oregon where all beaches are public. As I'm sure you know being from the PNW, the storm season begins around October 1st, but there is no predicting that far out whether there will be one or not. It could be sunny with temps in the 70's!!

It's a little early for whales, but you might get lucky and spot them providing the ocean conditions are calm. Obviously, storms and whale whatching do NOT go hand in hand.

Linclon City is about 10 miles south and is also, BY FAR, the closest town of any size. There you will be able to find just about anything you will need in terms of restaurants, shopping and entertainment.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

If you get a nice day, hike out Cascade Head. I think the view south from the Head is one of the best on the Oregon coast. Shorten the hike by starting just uphill from the River House in Cascade Head Ranch.

I don't know about the chowder, but Otis Cafe serves up great breakfasts, so I suspect, lunches too. Everything you're looking for; homey, funky, and then some. Go early, or be prepared to wait.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

>> The best chowder on the coast? <<

You will get as many different answers as there are different posters on this one, LOL!

My vote is for a place you'd never expect, and that's Nana's Irish Pub in Newport. Everything is really good, closed Tuesdays. Otis Cafe is also very good, but can be terrifically busy and crowded, so pick your days/times. Mo's is average.

Disclaimer on the above - I'm not a super fan of any clam chowder ;-)

Go kart track? Rockaway Beach? Or the bumper cars in Seaside? That's all that comes to mind on that.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

whalespoken.org/OPRD/PARKS/WhaleWatchingCent…

great info for the whale watching. dengay is correct about being early.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

Thanks Everyone! This is all great information. Keep it coming, one and all.

Level Contributor
34,226 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

Here in Seaside where I am, we love the clam chowder at Norma's Ocean Diner and Goose Hollow Cafe down by Ave U. Enjoy your trip! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

I've never had the chowders at either Norma's or Goose Hollow, syrahgirl. Are they worth a 2 hour drive for foodfan?

9. Re: October To Dos Oregon Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2010