We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Vancouver
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

My 2 kids are really eager in trying to find these things and every year we've gone down but we didn't know it starts in October!

Has anyone attended this event and find one of these mysterious glass balls? What is the weather like in mid October? How many do they actually hide and would we actually have a good chance of finding one? I would be a little bummed out after driving 6 hours and not find one...

Any help and tips appreciated! =P

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Right they start in Oct. til sometime in spring.

I suggest you not drive 6 hours for just that purpose. I do not know of any event. they just put them out, they say daily but i am not sure about that

We are regulars to central oregon coast. One day we parked along road from Delake to Taft to walk the beach a bit. My wife says maybe we can find one of those floats. She looked in bush near her feet and there was one.

She says that was easy. let's find another. She has walked all of Lincoln City beaches most of it more than once looking in all little nooks. I help her when I am not running shuttle to pick her up at end of beach walk. We still have just the one.

She has now agreed maybe we should do other things while there.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Thx Phirl...

I hear varying stories of how many they put those balls/floats out but I thought we can give it a try. Perhaps stay overnight in Lincoln City just to give the kids a chance to find one. But the beach is long and can be anywhere right?

Also, I am not sure how the weather will be at that time... hopefully not raining.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

We were in Lincoln City in July, and maybe this could substitute, depending on the mystique the kids would attach to "finding" vs. "making."

At the Lincoln City Glass Center http://www.lcglasscenter.com/ you can blow your own float. It's not cheap, but it's so personal to have made your very own glass ball, in the colors you select, maybe it'd be worth it, especially at the end of an unsuccesful search?

While we watched, most of the glass-making customers were kids, and I was really impressed with the way the master glass blowers explained the technique and helped them. (Well, truthfully, mostly did it for them, but the kids were right there at the furnace.) Working with hot glass is an experience most people will never have in their lives, and the kids' faces showed that they were awed.

I'm hardly a kid myself, but I made a starfish there, and though I've worked a little with hot glass before, the experience was still memorable and that glass starfish a treasured piece. And a great reminder of our trip.

OTOH, phirl, how very cool that your wife found one! I think that must be a truly magical experience.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Thx whthany! That's a good idea... just in case they get discouraged, that would be a nice way to end the trip. I hope it's not too expensive <gulp!>

I'll check out that link and perhaps I do a follow up post and let you know how it goes. I was trying to figure out where the the beach starts and ends where they might hide those glass floats.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

The glass website lists the prices.

>> hand-crafted glass floats being placed along the 7-1/2 miles (12 km) of public beach in Lincoln City, from the Roads End area to the Cutler City area.<<

That's from www.oregoncoast.org/pages/glass-floats.php where there's lots more info on it.

Hope you will post a trip report if you go.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Thx wythany! I'll try to find a map that shows Roads End area to the Cutler City area. The distance is walkable or should I just park in the middle and just pick north or south?

Oh well, I hope the weather will be nice at that time of season at least. If we go, I certainly will post our experience.

usa
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

One of my favorite months in Lincoln city is October. The weather is actually a bit better than the summer.

As for the glass floats they do it from october to memorial day. They will put out 2009 floats this year. They do it all times during the day, usually close to the beach accesses.

The Dsands is a real nice place to stay in lincoln city. They are located in the middle of town, with an indoor pool and spa and the rooms are very clean. I hope this helps you out a bit.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Hi newnrg!

I'm looking at my copy the visitor guide to the oregon coast and see that there are a couple of glass related activities in Lincoln City in Oct. The Glass Float Gala is on the 18th and the Glass Galore Art Fair is on the 18th/19th. According to last year's calendar, the "finder's Keepers Glass Floats on the Beach began during the Fair dates and continued through Memorial Day.

One interesting thing to note about the floats is the history of the event- which relates to the days when the glass floats from the Japanese fishing fleet nets would wash up on the Oregon shore.

www.CoastVisitor.com may be a good source of other events for you to investigate to coordinate your visit. The thing is, the glass float event isn't like an Easter Egg hunt where they are only hidden on one day and in a particular area- there are 7 miles of beach and many months involved, so if at first you don't succeed, come back and try again!:)

If you need to think of something else to come for, perhaps whale watching in Depoe Bay would be appealing, its not too far from LC.

The Jennifer Sears gallery offers the opportunity to blow your own float, and I think the price we were quoted was $65.00 per float. There is another gallery, I think it is called "the Edge", but I can't find it in my information for LC and I'm thinking they may be in Newport.

Hope it works out for you - I've tried on each of our visits to the coast with no luck so far; it took my mom 15 years!!!(But she found the "real deal")

Footloose

Vancouver
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Thx Footloose! That's good to know... I thought it would be like a Easter Egg hunt!

We hope to stay for 2 days so hopefully the kids don't get disappointed. I thought about making your own but then at $65 a piece? Hmmm... how much is Star Wars Lego?!? LOL.

Fingers crossed for a rain free stay and hoping to find one or two.

Thx for the link... I will likely try to find another kid event while we are down there so that we don't get beached-out!

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finders Keepers Glass Floats Lincoln City

Well, if it doesn't work out for finding one, and the cost to make your own is too steep there is another option for making floats that I know of, but its not at the beach.

The town of White Salmon, WA has a glassworks place that will allow you to make your own "ornament" for $45, with some pre-planning.Still a bit pricey for sure, but a little better. My brother went there this summer, but did not plan ahead so wasn't able to produce a piece.However, they are open to the idea...there just did not happen to be a glass blower on site when he went. I believe the name of the place is White River Glassworks- I think that I gave the correct name in my report pertaining to our family reunion this summer- check into posts by me in July if you want to know more.

If the weather doesn't hold for your trip to LC, you can always head a bit south and go to the Aquarium in Newport- even my nearly 80 year old inlaws loved it!

Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City