We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport or Lincoln City

Springfield, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Newport or Lincoln City

My mom, my 3 year old and I are spending two days on the coast in August. We are coming from Eugene and will end up in Portland. We will spend the first night in Florence because my mom wants to spend some time in Old Town, then we plan to stop in Yachats on the way up the coast just to check it out. We are thinking of spending our 2nd night in Lincoln City because it seems the closest to Portland, but are considering Newport as well. Basically we are trying to break up the driving a bit so my daughter doesn't get too restless and will want to be in Portland by the evening. We want to hit at least one beach briefly (so may stay at the Driftwood for that)and maybe a couple of shops and fun places to eat. We will not be doing any hiking or tidepooling or anything like that. Is Lincoln City a good choice for our second night? Any recommendations for hotels less than $200 with beach access or a pool?

Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

Newport better, but beach is closer at some Lincoln City motels

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

Considering your 3 yo, Newport; aquairum, marine science center, sea lions, etc. As long as he lasts before needing a nap LOL.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

You might want to check the 'D' Sands Condominium Motel in Lincoln City. They have all suites with kitchens, all rooms ocean view, beach access just a few steps away, indoor pool, and in your price range.

www.dsandsmotel.com

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

The difference in driving times between Portland and Lincoln City or Newport is minimal, particularly in the summer. From Newport, you'd take Hwy 20 to I-5 then north; from Lincoln City you can take Hwy 18 to Hwy 22 to Salem then north on I-5. Either way is about 3-3.5 hours. (The slowest way is Hwy 18 from Lincoln City all the way to Tigard then to Portland.)

What kind of hotel are you looking for? A fancier "hotel" or a just a good motel type? There are a lot of choices in your price range.

The Elizabeth Street Inn in Newport is very nice, has an indoor pool, is on the beach, but has about 80 steps down to the sand.

http://www.elizabethstreetinn.com/

On the same street are the Shiloh and BW Hallmark - you can check the TA reviews for hotels in both cities.

Newport probably has more to interest your daughter - the sea lions on the bayfront . . . maybe the aquarium or the Marine Science Center (the latter is free) . . . or maybe a bay tour on the Discovery?

Springfield, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

Thank you for your responses. I did not realize that Newport and Lincoln City would not have a huge time difference to Portland. We probably will not go to the aquarium as my mom just took her to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and we can save the Newport one for a trip with dad, but she would like seeing the Sea Lions on the Bayfront. If we stay at the Driftwood than I'm not feeling as compelled to go to the beach at Lincoln City which was the main draw, so all things considered maybe Newport is a better option.

As far as price for hotel goes my mom is paying fortunately otherwise we would be looking for the cheapest dive we could find. I would prefer to find something $150 or less if possible that is clean and not too rustic. In that general area I have only stayed at the Crown Pacific in Depoe Bay which I liked but would like something a little nicer for my mom. Does this help? She doesn't mind chain (La Quinta, Shilo) hotels. I've read some of the reviews but it is always hard to know what you are getting until you get there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

We used to stay at the Shilo in Newport. Our daughter worked there then, and she could get us a deal sometimes. I think all rooms are ocean front. It is 88 stair steps aboove the beach.

But Nye Beach Parking area near which is almost beach level. That is where we tkae grandkids

WA state
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

I also recommend LC and D'Sands - that is always the place we stay when we go to LC. The rooms are spacious, always clean, staff is very friendly and it is right on the beach. Enjoy your trip!

8. Re: Newport or Lincoln City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City