We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Framingham...
Level Contributor
177 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

What do folks think of the following 4 day / 3 night loop itinerary that starts and ends in Lincoln City? This is for an August trip, I'm assuming I'd do this Mon thru Thur, and be on the road by 8 AM each day. Is it safe to assume I should start the loop by heading south on the coast to improve the view and ease the turn offs?

Day 1 - Lincoln City to Gold Beach - Enjoy the scenery, stopping at towns and overlooks of interest along the way.

Day 2 - Gold Beach to Crescent City area, then northeast on Rt 199 ending the day in Prospect, Oregon. Spend time at Samuel Boardman Scenic Corridor, Del Norte Coast Redwoods Park, and Jedediah Smith Redwood Pk.

Day 3 – Prospect, OR to Crater Lake. Boat tour, hiking. Then not sure where to spend the night. There are 3 options I’m considering. I welcome feedback on these in terms of sightseeing opportunities, as well as driving times in the context of what I plan for Day 4.

1. Rt 138 to I-5 with night in Eugene area

2. Rt 58 with night in Eugene area

3. Rt 97 with night in Bend

Day 4 –If I stayed in Eugene the night before, head north on I-5 to Silver Falls. Or, if I stayed in Bend, head northwest on Rt 20 then Rt 22 to Silver Falls. Drive back to Lincoln City.

Is this too much driving each day? Are there specific sights along the way you'd recommend as must see's?

Thanks

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Chinookgrrrrl, is there a motel in Roseburg called the Windmill Inn? (I think that's right) They're a smallish chain. We stayed at the one in Ashland last Feb - they were having a "sweetheart special", we got a huge suite with full kitchen for $99, and full breakfast. Very nice!

Framingham...
Level Contributor
177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Again, great feedback. I'd rather drive the rim and hike at Crater Lake, so will forego the boat ride. The web site videos of the jet boat rides from Gold Beach and Grant Pass surprisingly haven't sparked my interest - probably just as well given the limited time I have.

I'm going to leave open the itinerary for Day 4. I plan to see Mill Creek Falls and Toketee Falls on the way to and from Crater Lake. So I may decide to forego Silver Falls. On the other hand, I'm not sure how keen I'll be to repeat the drive on Highway 101 from Reedsport to LC. From past experience, driving 3 to 4 hrs a day on interstates is one thing - frequently needing to pass RV's on roads like Highway 101 is another story. Is Highway 101 one lane in each direction?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Well, if the jetboats aren't of interest, how about a ride in a dune buggy?

Yes, US 101 is mostly one lane in each direction, but there are occasional passing lanes. Don't know those details between Reedsport and LC, but the scenery from 101 between Florence and Newport is arguably some of the best on the Oregon coast. You'll want extra time to see sights you missed on day 1.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

101 has a few passing lanes, almost no 4 lane sections except in towns. takinf 138-38 to Reeedsport from Sutherlin then on north on 101 is about 25 miles shorter than I-5. assuming you go to coast on US-20. 138-38 is prettiest drive to coast we have. you are duplicating maybe 90 miles

If you drive 138 check Clearwater Falls (one of my wife's favorites) and Watson and Whitehorse Falls. They are on smaller streams so not as dramatic as Toketee but still easy to get to and worth short stop

Near Union Cr on OR62 be sure to check Natural Bridge where Rogue R goes underground and Rogue Gorge.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

It's great getting first hand experiences and advice on this site. In checking into waterfalls on the web, found the following site which I wanted to share. Nice summaries, photos, directions, etc.

www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/database.php…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Oooh, thanks very much, NMBound, this is a dandy site! I'll add it to my favorites as it will probably come in very handy. I looked up waterfalls in my county here on the coast -- several have no photos or information, interesting.

Regarding the two lane roads, other than the freeways, a few odd bits of highways and roads in towns and cities, basically all roads in Oregon are two lane roads. So whichever route you choose will have the same type of roads. Some have almost no passing lanes, only occasional pull-outs.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

What is the driving time from Linclon City to Gold Beach?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Driving straight through, no stops, about 4-4.5 hours.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

Any suggestions for a midpoint stopover?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Thoughts on the Following Itenerary?

I see you are new to this forum, Androodle, so welcome!

What I would suggest is that you start your own thread (topic). At the bottom of this page, click on "Post a New Topic", then fill in your title at the top (I suggest something like - coastal driving questions). Then write your questions in the Message Box.

You'll get more people to read and answer your questions that way, since this thread is sort of old, and everybody likes to read the new topics!

p.s. Are you going to get out of prison for your visit, LOL! Couldn't resist with your "picture" :-))

Looking forward to hearing more from you....

Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City