We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging along the coast

Metuchen, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Topic
Lodging along the coast

I have been looking at the lodging and some rates are way over the top for us since we are staying 6 days. I wonder if anyone knows about the Inn at Cape Kiwanda? It seems more reasonable at $186 per night than Overleaf or Stephanie Inn. We really don't need high-end, but I would really like to stay on the water. I thought I saw a place that was on the river that had bike paths and let you use the bikes. An old car to drive you around? Does that sound familiar? Ech. I have been doing so much research online that one area is starting to blend into another. I'd prefer staying between north/central area. Anyway, any info on places to stay (preferable not a chain!) would be appreciated.

This website has been such a saving grace to me and I would like to thank you all for your time and interest.

Sue

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging along the coast

Hi Sue,

One of the problems I am beginning to learn about these forums is that while they are very informative and extremely helpful, if one lives in (or has a vacation home) in a particular area, one has no idea of current hotel prices. $186 is the least expensive of the three? Yikes!

Okay, "on the water". Would you prefer oceanfront .... ocean view .... bay front .... or riverfront? Or does it matter too much?

Are you planning to stay in one spot for 6 nights? Or split it up 3/3?

"North / central area." Does the Yachats area interest you, or would you prefer farther north?

Would you prefer staying in or near a teeny, tiny town or larger town? To put this into perspective, Yachats population is about 600, Newport about 10,000, Pacific City about 3,000, Cannon Beach about 5,000 (although I am a bit fuzzy on those last two - it's close enough for you to get the idea).

RE: ...."an old car...." nope, doesn't ring any bells with me.

Since the entire Oregon coast is a tourist mecca, there are hundreds of motels/hotels. They differ vastly in location and price.

With all the helpful folks here, somebody will come up with something great for you!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging along the coast

half-brit makes some great points.

What price range are you looking for? That will help us narrow it down for you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging along the coast

All the ocean view hotel/motels in Cannon Beach are nice, and are kept updated. Most people that stay in Cannon Beach have a bit more money so they cater to them. SO if you find a lower priced place there I would take it.

Ecola Creek Lodge Isn't ocean view but it is a quaint small place and I know the owners, very meticulous and just a min walk to the beach.

Metuchen, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging along the coast

I realize that you guys that live there don't know much about pricing for staying! It's so different the the NY Metro area. You can't get a hotel in NY that is adequate for less than $250...and that's a deal. I guess I would prefer staying out of the way of the big stuff since we will have a car; but on the other hand if it is cheaper... I really really would like a ocean VIEW with a balcony. and I love the yachats area. I would prefer not to go further than Florence. I have tried to find websites that will offer a discount for the Oregon area, but so far none of the popular ones have it. The list in the seaside brochure lists Hi-Tide Motel, Lanai at the Cove, Ocean Front Motel, Tradewinds Condos/motel and gilbert Inn as being on the ocean or having an ocean view.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging along the coast

For Seaside-

There is a ton more. If you give me a place I can give you more that have ocean views.

Look for those with Prom or Promenade in the address

Seaside Shilo is right near the turn around. When you say busy then say you are from NYC I think your busy isn't the same as ours. When do you plan to come?

Some others are Ocean View Resort

Best Western Ocean View Resort

Seaside Oceanfront Inn Bed & Breakfast Hotel

Another is Sand & Sea Resort and Condos

Both I have been in and know people with Condos etc.

There are lots right along the prom that would have kept up their appearance, and modernness, I walked it every day the week of the fourth, and many had security or workmen out. So any close to Broadway on the Prom would be good. Otherwise there are some at AVE U and Broadway. Like The Tides and Inn of the Four Winds and more that have been around but have been updated.

One good idea would be to call the Chamber of Commerce of which ever town you decide on. They are all great up here, and assume there is similar service all the way down the coast.

For The Gilbert Inn. I forget if they take the whole block but Beach drive is one street in from the prom.

If you stay in Seaside you can rent bikes no problem and ride the prom or load them up and head to Fort Stevens etc.

Let me know if you want a different town. I know most hotel/motels from Astoria to Cannon Beach, as I live here. Haven't stayed in them all but have visited some and seen all from outside ;).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging along the coast

I go to the beach to get away from the hustle and bustle so I prefer very small communities as opposed to places like Cannon Beach, Lincoln City and Newport. They all have too many people, too much shopping and they are too touristy for my liking.

I love the community of Neskowin, which is about half way between Lincoln City to the south and Pacific City to the north. Neskowin is about as non-commercial as you can get with only one small restaurant and one community store. There are no hotels, only condos that you can rent.

The beach at Neskowin has its own "haystack rock" called Proposal Rock. You can actully climb to the top of this rock during low tide but come down before the tide comes back in or else you will be wading through the water.

I always stay at The Chelan. This a a building with 9 condos that you can rent. It is right on the ocean with gorgeous views. the lower units have a nice patio to sit on and the upper ones have a deck. We usually rent number 9 and it has the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on!

You can check it out here:

http://www.rentoregoncoast.com/index.php

Good luck!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging along the coast

Wow, PDXWindJammer, I looked up the web site and I'm ready to take off for the weekend :-))

Seriously, The Chelan looks lovely. I honestly didn't know that there were quiet little hideaways like it. The only drawback may be that it isn't "near" anything (such as breakfast, lunch and dinner), so it may entail a bit more driving, although 10 miles into Lincoln City isn't bad.

And I did see they have kitchens.

I had a couple of thoughts for Newport, if that area is of interest to you. One would be the Elizabeth Street Inn. Right on the beach, balconies, independently owned, quite plush, only a few years old.

Another might be the Hallmark Resort (they also own one in Cannon Beach). This is a larger hotel, but again, right on the beach, balconies, fairly new, very nice.

I think they each run somewhere in the price range of $130/150 per night.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging along the coast

Hi there, we enjoyed a nice stay at the Tides by the Sea last summer when our beach cottage was being rented, it is oceanfront with gorgeous views. We had an upstairs corner room which was a two bedroom unit, we paid about $90/night and they did not up the price for the weekend, this was in June.

On our way over to Cannon Beach yesterday, we drove by the Weiss Paradise Suites on Downing which looked very quaint, the Travel Channel did some filming there last summer. Lots of pretty flowers, about a couple of blocks from the prom and the beach. You may want to check them out.

The Shilo Oceanfront is a nice property but in busy location, right b the turnaround. Let me know if you have any further questions about this area, we're very much enjoying our extended stay in this area. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging along the coast

Imjerseygirl, if you are leaning a bit more toward the central part of the coast, there is a beautiful B&B in the small town of Waldport. It is on a bluff overlooking the ocean and bay. Their rates are about $150, and I do believe they give a discount for longer stays. Waldport is about 8 miles north of Yachats and 15 miles south of Newport.

The name is Cliff House B&B.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging along the coast

jerseygirl, We are originally from NYC and we know beach prices in NY and NJ...they are no bargain in Oregon either.

In the season (which lasts til Oct) the same rules apply, 2-3 night minimums and very expensive on the beach, facing the beach, etc.

I liked Cannon Beach the best..walking the beach, Haystack Rock and the town and shops and bakeries etc.

Ecola Seafood and Mo's too.

While it is nice to have a car, keep in mind that it is a one lane highway with logging trucks and there are no streetlights at night.

The towns do sort of blend together in a way..when you have not visited them and gotten a feeling for the atmosphere in each one.

Seaside reminded me very much of Asbury Park etc in NJ.

Cannon Beach is much more like a small NY beach town...not as big and posh as the Hamptons but charming .. more like something in Monterey or No California..( this is just my take on this, no offense to those who know better lol)

We reeeally liked the Inn at Arch Cape , 10 miles south of Cannon Beach..it is on the beach side, a short walk, less than a block - to a really nice beach.

Fireplaces in all rooms, kid and dog friendly..I think they even had BBQ grills for the tenants use..

look into that if it sounds good, I am pretty sure it was not too expensive.

Here is my review and some photos .. hope this helps.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29995-d5958…