We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria to San Francisco

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Astoria to San Francisco

Hi

We plan to travel from Astoria to San Francisco in September. Originally we had allowed ourselves 3 nights. Is this doable? We love sightseeing, and are looking forward to the natural features. Initial plans include nights at Tillamook and Port Orford. Then into Northern California and stop at at Leggett.

I'm concerned that, although many of the stops along the Oregon coast are probably quite short, that we may not be giving ourselves enough time. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Tillamook and Port Orford are dubious choices is there any particular reason ?

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Sorry - I've put this in the wrong forum. Just transferred it to the Oregon coast forum.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

It's OK. We all see it, but the question is a good one. Why Tillamook and Port Orford? Using some mileage guide or just map measuring? Try Yachats and Trinidad instead. Or Newport and Crescent City.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

We drive from Seattle to San Francisco along the coast regularly, and you can easily make it with three nights.

Our trips vary, but we have overnighted at Reedsport, Yachats, Bandon, and Brookings.

I would not spend any time at Tillamook whatsoever...it is dairy farm country and not on the coast. Choose one of the coastal towns.

101things.com/westoregon/…

I would go to Bandon or Gold Beach instead of Port Orford.

Is there lodging near Leggett? Don't recall seeing any. Benbow Inn is too rich for our blood, so we have stayed in Willits a couple of times.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Thanks for your replies. Yes Tillamook and Port Orford were just based on mileage. We are actually travelling from the Olympic Peninsula. We hadn't planned to stay in Astoria, so that's why I said Tillamook. There just seems so many things to see! How far do you think we could get and still see places like Seaside, Ecola SP, Rockaway Beach etc?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

"How far do you think we could get and still see places like Seaside, Ecola SP, Rockaway Beach etc?"

From exactly where in ONP? It is HUGE, as you already know, and the answer to this could be hours in error if measured from the wrong location.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Leaving Forks ONP early morning. Think it's about a 3 hr drive to Astoria?

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Closer to 4 hours, Forks to Astoria. Distances on the Pennisula are greater than people expect. It is also more remote and sparsely populated than you might expect.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

I agree with Freddie.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Astoria to San Francisco

Hi. Thanks everyone for your advice. Revised plans - travel early morning from Forks. Arrive Astoria midday (ish). Would you recommend staying in Astoria (1 night) or maybe Seaside or Cannon Beach? I've looked at the Astoria Riverfront Inn.

In this area we would like to visit Fort Stevens SP, possibly the Astoria column and the bridge before moving on to Seaside, Ecola SP, Cannon Beach and then towards Newport. Any suggestions please.

Reply to: Astoria to San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City