We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

Hi out there,I am in need of some help with the best route to take traveling from Las Vegas NV to Lincoln City Oregon Pulling my fifth wheel trailer. This is my first time pulling my fifth wheel this far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

I'd head up through Tonopah to Klamath falls to Hwy 58 to Eugene to Florence and then up the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

when you say 'best' what are you referring to? least amount of hills? Roads with ample services? most scenic?

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

What time of year?

We do this every March, towing travel trailer from Portland to Death Valley, so similar.

From Vegas a couple off routes, one up 95/50 to Fernley, then west on I-80 to Reno, north on 395 to stopover, in Susanville?

Then 395/139/39 to Klamath Falls up 97 NE on 58 up I-5 and cross over on 22 to Lincoln City.

With trailer I prefer 395 through Alturus to Klamath Falls rather than 139 straight north from Susanville as that section of 139 is narrow, curvy and steeper in places but more scenic than the 395 section to Alturas.

Or after Alturas continue up 395 to Lakeview, then 31 past Silver Lake to Bend, Sisters and over on 20 to Salem and 22 to Lincoln City.

Or as we are doing next week, something different and perhaps faster:

http://tinyurl.com/k3gzw2k

Vegas north on 95 to Tonopah, north on 376/305 To Winniemucca, continue north on 95/78 to Burns then west on 20 to Salem, 22 to Lincoln City.

We done the first two routes seven years in a row now.

Keeping safe driving in mind, you can dive faster in Nevada and Oregon with trailer. CA limits trailer towing to 55 mph.

Edited: 12:24 pm, March 18, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Sisters
Sisters
Central Oregon, OR
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

Least amount of hills

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,358 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

You're going to go over hills on any route you choose. I've towed a 5th wheel with a Freightliner for years. Most of the routes described in post 4 are good solid two lane roads.

I prefer taking Hwy 140 west from Klamath Falls to I-5 as it is a good road with more gradual elevation changes. Then from I-5, the *best* road to Lincoln City in a big rig is Hwys 22/18 west out of Salem. If you stay on Hwy 97 and go north from Klamath Falls you will be in the mountains and then you have to come down the mountains.

None of scenic Hwy 101 is bad for a large RV, with the exception of a very few short stretches where the highway is winding. But they are short, and you can drive slowly through them. I offer that info since you could also take Hwy 42 (good for RVs) west from I-5 so you could see more of the scenic coast.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Salem
Salem
Oregon
6. Re: Traveling from Las Vegas NV. to Lincoln City pulling a fifth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, May 17, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City