We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to lake oswego

Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to lake oswego

Dear Friends I am planning to move to lake oswego in ma4 weeks from now . Can someone tell me more about the place? Lifestyle? average expenses for a family of four 2 kids 2 adults? Exemplary schools? Basic requirements? Cars etc ,etc...... All your words are precious for me .Please advise

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to lake oswego

Good part of Lake Oswego pretty upscale. which means homes cost more. and there are more people with money.

They have no big box stores counting on other cities to have those. so we in Tigard hve more than our share.

They have a nice downtown recently renovated. Good art scattered about town, nice library.

portland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to lake oswego

hi pithouston, glad you are thinking of moving to Oregon. My advice would be to avoid L.O. if you can. If you have two kids, you may want to consider an area where the people are friendly. Perhaps Tualatin, Tigard, Beaverton, or other outlying areas. Good luck.

Highland Village...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to lake oswego

Hi pithouston

We are moving to Lake Oswego area also...need to be out of our home by end of March. Husband is already in L.O. working, seems soo expensive compared to Texas, but heard that it is a nice place, very friendly.Where in Texas are you now? We are in Highland Village just north of Dallas.

Puddletown
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to lake oswego

My bias: I grew up here in the 60/s and 70/s, returned to raise my kids here in the 80's. Many people have done the same thing.Our last child is a freshman at Lake Oswego HIgh School.

Best things: Excellent Schools and School spirit- every one thinks his or her school is the best one

Safe Safe Safe

Fun Farmers Market, summer concerts , outdoor movies that families attend in throngs

There are great recreational opportunites-public tennis center, swimming clubs, strong soccer club, football and basketball programs, good dance schools. The Parks and Recs deparatment offers classes in everything. There is an Adult community center . You would be near Portland community college for that Italian or computer class that you always wanted to take.

You would be an easy drive to Portland and all it has to offer. And Costco is near, never fear!

The downside: It has gotten way more expensive to buy a house here in the 17 years since we moved back here. It worries me that the family atmosphere of the place will suffer because of that. Westlake is full of kids. I say buy the house you can afford and don't worry about where it is in LO. You can't go wrong.

As for people, like anywhere, you get back what you give. This is a place where people like to belong and they show it by volunteering in the schools, community, and kids sports coaching. The trick is to say no once in a while and save your sanity!

Now you may run into some stressed out people who are working hard to afford their house payments. You may run into some people who have kids but are not really grown ups themselves, but what else is new? We have two kids in college now. We have had a good life here. No regrets.

Puddletown
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to lake oswego

My bias: I grew up here in the 60/s and 70/s, returned to raise my kids here in the 80's. Many people have done the same thing.Our last child is a freshman at Lake Oswego HIgh School.

Best things: Excellent Schools and School spirit- every one thinks his or her school is the best one

Safe Safe Safe

Fun Farmers Market, summer concerts , outdoor movies that families attend in throngs

There are great recreational opportunites-public tennis center, swimming clubs, strong soccer club, football and basketball programs, good dance schools. The Parks and Recs deparatment offers classes in everything. There is an Adult community center . You would be near Portland community college for that Italian or computer class that you always wanted to take.

You would be an easy drive to Portland and all it has to offer. And Costco is near, never fear!

The downside: It has gotten way more expensive to buy a house here in the 17 years since we moved back here. It worries me that the family atmosphere of the place will suffer because of that. Westlake is full of kids. I say buy the house you can afford and don't worry about where it is in LO. You can't go wrong.

As for people, like anywhere, you get back what you give. This is a place where people like to belong and they show it by volunteering in the schools, community, and kids sports coaching. The trick is to say no once in a while and save your sanity!

Now you may run into some stressed out people who are working hard to afford their house payments. You may run into some people who have kids but are not really grown ups themselves, but what else is new? We have two kids in college now. We have had a good life here. No regrets.

Highland Village...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to lake oswego

Thanks for your reply,

We have moved to Lake Oswego. We are paying dearly for our home....but the exemplary schools are worth it. Yes, we has a bit less money for the extras but, there are wonderful things to do here that are free. Walking, hiking, biking, beautiful parks. We are learning to adjust our spending and that is OK. I can say that the people seem to be very friendly. The "snob factor" is an exception rather than the rule. I just have the attitude that it's their loss and they are just insecure and too self-conscious to open themselves up to other people. In other words, their problem, not mine. Besides, EVERY community has this type. Community programs are abundant, but can become expensive when you have 3 kids. Although scholarship programs are available, don't think we qualify, but that is the price we pay to have one parent still at home and still live in a very nice, friendly, absolutely beautiful community. We all make compromises and I think Lake Oswego is worth it. Sure, I'd love several thousand sq. feet of beautiful "new" home with extra money to indulge my family , but my husband is at work in 5 minutes, and as a result he can spend more time at home with the family. The kids are getting a great education and I feel good about property values holding relatively steady . Overall, a beautiful community with the only downside being expenisive housing. Thanks again for your opinion, I hope mine helps others who are moving to the area make a good decision for their family.

7. Re: Moving to lake oswego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lake Oswego
More Lake Oswego Topics