We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

We plan to make a 3 day excursion coming in from Maupin to see the foJD monument areas and then depart via Redmond. We will be camping in a small RV, and I have seen some text in websites that implies there might be Elk or other large wildlife to be seen. Is this so (we will be there in August), and if so are there any suggests of where we should go/camp in the general Fossil/John Day area so we would be most likely to see them. Also, if we are in an RV and not able to run A/C at night, are we going to roast? I live in MD and have no conception of your summer night (or Day) time temperatures. Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

Even if it gets hot during the day- it generally cools down at night- you shouldn't be too hot. The JD monument website provides the best options for camping- there really arent many in the area. I believe there are some small BLM campgrounds right along the river. Clyde Holiday State Park is the really the only full service campground in the area, but east of the monument. the best bet might be to ask the local Dept of Fish and Wildlife office in John Day.

Not sure where your travels take you, but the most dependable place to see elk is at the Dean Creek Viewing area along Hwy 38 just east of Reedsport along the coast.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

We lived in John Day for 5 years. I worked for Forest Service spent a lot of time in woods. Rarely saw any, but did see a few. We drove from John Day to many places. Never saw any. I did go out on some hunting trips where there was a herd on Flagtail mtn, then saw some, but we knew they were there.

You will be lucky to see any.

Deer, yes. .Antelope maybe to south of John Day.

There was a large ranch south of Seneca that had some big game, can't remember what.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

I did not respond to heat question. Nights always cooled down in John Day. In lower elevations like madras it may stay warm in Aug. But as a general rule would not worry about nights.

Several small Forest Service CGs near John Day. most pretty minimal. Magone Lake was one

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

If you want full hookups, there is a lovely little campground in Dayville, only about 7 spaces with lots of space and pretty green lawn everywhere. Very quiet, but book ahead if interested:

http://www.fishhouseinn.com/rvpark.html

You'll find far less humidity than you are used to, so the heat is not so overwhelming. I agree, unless there is some weird weather pattern, the summer nights in Eastern Oregon are generally pleasant.

Don't miss Painted HIlls - the road is fine for a small motorhome.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?

Thanks guys! It is good to know we won't roast at night if we don't have A/C, even if it is unlikely we will see an Elk, I will look up Reedsport. I appreciate the tip about the private camp ground.

Reply to: Chance to see Elk? or other Not-Deer large wildlife?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about John Day