We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

Is the Historic Highway suitable to pull a fifth wheel trailer or do we have to stick to the interstate? Although we are only travelling through the gorge in one day, we want to "see" some of the sites even if we won't have much time to stop and really experience them. What are the must see sites on the gorge if we only have a few hours. Thanks much.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

NO, park it somewhere and drive your tow vehicle. I suggest you adjust your agenda. If you can't best you can do is park at Multnomah Falls exit on 84 and walk to falls, but even that often has no room for RVs.

Edited: 4:47 pm, August 26, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

No!

We've towed a 5th wheel for 5 years ;-)

Can you change your schedule at all? Are you planning to stay in Portland? If so, you could drive out in your truck - you can see much of the old highway and view points in a half day.

Perhaps if you can give us your rough itinerary, we can help.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

Thanks for the great info. We are actually just driving through - although we will have two weeks for our vacation, I have tentatively planned on spending most of the time along the Oregon Coast. I have allotted only 2 days to get from Redwoods National Park to Greenwood BC (to visit relatives for a couple of days) so thought it might be feasible to leave Redwood really early and drive to Portland then follow the Gorge and camp at Deschutes State Park (being approximately half way). Being to sound a bit foolhearty. Any comments you have are greatly appreciated.

We could reduce our coast days by 1 and add a day to the Gorge. We have the luxury of living near Banff and Jasper National Parks but not near the Pacific so are leaning toward more Coast time but if the Gorge is as beautiful as I am understanding it to be, this change might be warranted.

Thanks for your help!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

The Historic Columbia River Highway is very narrow and dangerous if you take a 5th wheel on it. both for the rig and for the cars trying to the opposite direction. Awful narrow to pass.

You maybe able to park in the freeway lot and walk under the freeway through the tunnel.

Best, MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

Ah, your name rang a little bell last night, canadiantreasure49 ... just not a very loud one for me, LOL!

I've taken the liberty of posting your itinerary here again, since both phirl and MrsO are also RVers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1438848-i12636-k6…

I'm thinking you could take a night away from Florence. Maybe drive from Crescent City to just west of Portland (6-ish hours) , and stay there a night to tour the gorge in your truck.

In light of your comments about wanting to spend more time along the coast, Florence is inland, behind the dunes. Honeyman campground has trees and small lakes, but, from the official website: "There are two miles of sand dunes between the park and the ocean."

6. Re: Should we consider pulling 5th wheel on Historic C R Hwy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 29, 2014