We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

After help from several of you at TA we've somewhat decided on our route but still need some help on what area to stay for the Gorge/Mt Hood loop as well as any helpful insights for our itinerary. Here are tentative plans:

Thurs. Mt St. Helens and Powell Bookstore (my 20 yr old son is a huge reader) then drive to lodging in CRG/Mt Hood area

Friday & Saturday - Gorge and Mt Hood

Sunday, Mon. Tues - Bend/Sun River/Sisters/Newberry/MtBachelor areas

Wed. - Crater Lake

Thurs - Crater Lake am if needed then drive to Newport via Rogue-Umpqua scenic byway

Friday & Saturday -Newport / coast areas

Sunday - leave Newport early and hit Silver Falls State Park on our way to catch late flight out of Portland

It would be nice to have only one lodging stay for Thurs., Fri, Sat. if possible so I'm looking for location advice (Gov. camp, Zigzag, Hood River, etc). I love the mountains so I'm torn between trying to stay closer to Mt. Hood or go with the Gorge area. Traveling with 2 - 20 year olds. Any advice on how I've allotted time in the areas would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

Hi, there.

Hood River is likely your best bet. Government Camp, Welches, Rhodendran (but it would be a long drive daily to the CRG) They have cabins in the Mount Hood National Forest.

edit: actually, Troutdale and Cascade Locks are good places too.

Min

Edited: 1:07 pm, July 27, 2011
Hood River, OR
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

if you are doing St Helens and Powells in one day, you will be leaving Portland late in the afternoon at best, thats a busy day. If so, drive straight to Hood River via I-84 and spend the next two days in the Gorge and up into the Hood River valley and the Mt Hood area. If you can get out of Portland by mid day on thurs drive over Mt Hood via Hwy 26/35 to Hood River. Its a great drive over the Mt. that takes about 3 hrs to Hood RIver. I think Hood River is the best place to base your Gorge trips from.

You can get to the Bend area from Hood River via Hwy 35 to 26 on Mt Hood or via I84 to Hwy 197 via the Dalles and Maupin. This route will expose you to some of the Deschutes River and vast wheat fields of Central Oregon.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

If you go up to Government Camp, you should be able to take the back way to Bend, if I don't have my my highways mixed up. It would be 26 to 97S through the Warm Springs Reservation into Bend. About 2 hours.

Mapquest it. We have taken our RV that way into Crooked River Ranch.

Min

Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

Thanks so much for the input and directions. I was hoping others would chime in also to see if our itinerary looks about right for how we have divided our time at various spots. I wasn't sure if we 3 days was too much for the Bend area. Is that area a lot of scenic mountain hiking?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

I am more familiare with the Columbia River Gorge. But you should be able to check it out on www.nwhiker.com to find those hikes.

The Bend regulars will also chime in.

Have fun.

Min

6. Re: Lodging Advice CRG/Mt Hood and finalize itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, October 08, 2012